Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox & IE crash upon loading

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 chilledoutdude

chilledoutdude

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:47 PM

Hello,

I've recently turned my computer on to find that my Firefox web browser was not loading for some reason. I decided to use my back-up web browser, IE-7 but that also failed to load resulting in a crash. I have a funny feeling it's some sort of Virus/Malware as its very unusual for both browsers to fail, however, after strolling through numerous websites looking for answers I found nothing. I have tried starting firefox in Safe-Mode yet that seems to have worked.

I have scanned my computer with AVG 8.0 Internet Security and it hasn't picked up anything, and numerous pieces of software including Hitman Pro 3.5 and Trojan Remover, which also picked up zero.

Subsequently, I accidently ran ComboFix twice without realising what I was doing and I think one log overwrote the other!

I am currently at a stage where I am unsure what to do. I believe I might have to use Hijackthis but I would need some assistance.

Many thanks in advance

Regards
Simon

Attached Files

Edited by chilledoutdude, 19 May 2010 - 06:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:53 PM

Hi Simon,

Welcome to Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal (VTSMR) forum. I am going to assist you with your problem.

Please refrain from making any changes to your system (scanning or running other tools, updating Windows, installing applications, removing files, etc.) from now on as it might interfere with our fixes. Please let me know in your next reply if you agree with this.

If the issue is not resolved please update me on the current condition of your computer. Tell me also if you another internet browser or your are communicating through another computer.

Please copy and paste the logs unless it is otherwise requested.

Please go to start => Run => Copy and paste the bold line in the run-box and click OK:

"C:\Qoobox\Add-Remove Programs.txt"

A text file opens up, attach the log to your reply.

#3 chilledoutdude

chilledoutdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:04 AM

Hello Farbar,

Thanks for getting back to me. Prior to reading your post I managed to fix the errors by uninstalling and re-installing firefox and resetting IE? I'm not sure if i have solved the problem?
Before fixing the problems I was using another computer.

Although I followed your steps and this appeared:

"C:\Qoobox refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hardrive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the internet or your Network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location "?

#4 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,688 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:50 AM

Glad to hear you have resolved the issue. On the latest ComboFix log there were remains of a couple of files infected by a file infector. AVG tray is one of them. Your computer probably needs some updating too.

#5 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,688 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 05:51 AM

This thread will now be closed since the issue seems to be resolved.

If you need this topic reopened, please send me a PM and I will reopen it for you.

If you should have a new issue, please start a new topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users