Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

automatic dial up on boot up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pita

pita

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 02 October 2005 - 09:13 AM

My computer automatically dials up my one and only dial up connection whenever i bootup. If I disconnect from the dial up session I cannot re-establish another dial up session; I have to re-boot.
McAfee AV installed, updated and disk scan run all OK, Spyware Doctor updated scanned all OK
What can I do to stop this happening?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 02 October 2005 - 09:44 AM

Have you gone to the start up to see which programs are running?
Try
MicroSoft AntiSpyware Beta
Ewido Security Suite
Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition
Spybot Search&Destroy

If you don't have these on you computer it is a goodidea to have them. If youwant install update and run each in the order I have listed. That is just my preferemce. All but Ewido all 100% freewar. After 14 days you will only be able to use the scanner feature with Ewido unless you buy it.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 texxors

texxors

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 02 October 2005 - 10:04 AM

For a temporary solution you could also go into your dial up networking setup properties in the control panel (go to dial up networking and right click on each connection you see) and check the "prompt for number" box. This should stop the software from auto dialing and allow you to cancel it (assuming that it is not a virus). You may also check Outlook and see if you have indicated for it to start up and check for emails on boot up and to connect whenever neccessary. I'm not sure whay this would make it so that you can't connect again after disconnection, but it may help you hunt down the reason it's auto dialing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users