Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 8.0 Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tinwoodsman

Tinwoodsman

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:20 PM

I have a Sony Vaio notebook that I recently did a full system restore on to clear up some clutter. The system is restored as FAT32. Prior to the restore (which used Sony disks) I was running I.E. 8.0. I restored XP Professional at SP1 and I.E. 6.0 at SP1. Then I downloaded every update identified from the Microsoft Update site (takes quite awhile as you can imagine) with the exception of SP3.

During the updates, I.E. 8.0 and its updates downloaded and I installed it during the download screen after it was extracted. Once I restarted my system, I tried to open I.E. and it would not open. I was expected the I.E. configuration screen to appear. I.E. 8.0 was shown in the Control Panel Add/Remove folder. Upon restarting there was a small window in the upper left hand corner of the screen saying that I.E. 8.0 was being configured.

After trying numerous times, I unstalled 8.0 from the Control Panel and restarted. I.E. 6.0, SP2 opened with no problem.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem. No Mozilla solutions wanted.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:45 PM

Have you updated to sp3 yet I'm a little confused by that part... if not then please do that and then try the ie8 install again. :thumbsup:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 Tinwoodsman

Tinwoodsman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:38 PM

SP3 Installed and it made no difference. I.E. 8.0 will not start when I click the desktop icon.

#4 Tinwoodsman

Tinwoodsman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:49 PM

Well, I have added SP3 to XP Professional and also ran a registry scan. Downloaded I.E. 8.0 again and it still won't startup. I goes thru the download process fine and I restart but nothing happens when I click on the I.E. icon. If I remove I.E. 8.0, I.E. 6.0 runs fine.

I just downloaded I.E. 7.0 to see if it made a difference. At least 7.0 installed and opened but it did not connect to the internet. Outlook connects fine. Another problem is that when I tried to remove 7.0 at the control panel, I.E. 7.0 was listed but there was no remove option. I had to do a system restore. Any suggestions or at least a method to remove 7.0 when something like this happens. I guess I am destined for I.E. 6.0

Edited by Tinwoodsman, 20 May 2010 - 09:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users