Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade For Intel Desktop Board DQ965GF

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tb75252

tb75252

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:04 PM

I have an Intel desktop board DQ965GF (board rev. D41676-305, BIOS v. 5493) with an Intel Pentium D 820 GHz CPU. I would like to upgrade the system with a faster CPU and I am not much of an expert on these things. The PC is being used for Excel number crunching (very large files and complex formulas that take a while to refresh!), playing games, and surfing the Internet.

The CPUs compatible with my board are listed in these links:
http://processormatch.intel.com/COMPDB/Sea...ardname=dq965gf
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/...b/CS-025970.htm

Here are my questions:
1) Based on the above-mentioned board revision and BIOS version, do you agree with me that the fastest CPU that I can install is an Intel Core2 Duo Desktop Processor E6700 SL9ZF 2.66 GHz?
2) Just out of curiosity, of all the CPUs listed in the two links that I provided, would the Intel Core2 Extreme Desktop Processor X6800 SL9S5 2.93 GHz be the fastest?
3) Do you know of a site that compares all the CPUs in existence and ranks them based on some sort of benchmark?

PS: I know that there are other things that I could upgrade in order to make my PC faster such as the graphics card, more memory, etc. but at this time I would like to restrict things only to the CPU upgrade issue.

Thanks.
--
tb

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:53 AM

1. Yes
2. Yes and no. If the applicatins are heavily multithreaded the quad core CPU would probably be faster in that instance.
3. Nope, but you can find tons than rank core2 vs core quad and either of those vs their extreme counterparts
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users