Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to install Vista

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 D808Centaur

D808Centaur

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:54 PM

The hard disk on our Dell Dimension E520 has (almost) died -- that is, it fails certain hardware tests and won't boot properly.
I am hoping I can retrieve some of the data to an external drive I am soon to buy, but I am assuming not.

So, once I have a shiny new hard drive to install onto, what next?
Since I presume such things are not available for free download, will it be sufficient for me to find someone with a Vista CD and 'just install it' (the PC's product key is clearly labelled on the top of the case)?
Or are there other things to consider?

In terms of drivers, there was a 'Dell Support' utility loaded which provided a link to available driver updates for the PC. Once Vista is loaded, will it be clever enough to work out what hardware is fitted and look for the drivers?

(I have installed Win98 onto a bare disk before, but that was using a Recovery disk supplied with the PC. I don't have that luxury for my Vista machine.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:47 PM

will it be sufficient for me to find someone with a Vista CD and 'just install it' (the PC's product key is clearly labelled on the top of the case)?

Yes.
As for drivers, Vista will install some drivers and for missing drivers, simply go to Dell's site, enter your computer service tag number and you'll be able to download rest of the drivers.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 D808Centaur

D808Centaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:56 AM

My son's HP laptop has the same OS.
Would it be possible to create a recovery disk of some kind on the HP laptop that would allow installation of Vista on the Dell desktop?
Would the same be possible from another Dell desktop?

If not...
Would Vista Home and Home Premium come on different media, or is the same media used for both (selected by the product key)?

(I'm trying to tie down what will work, and what I need to ask to borrow to complete the job.)

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:45 PM

My son's HP laptop has the same OS.
Would it be possible to create a recovery disk of some kind on the HP laptop that would allow installation of Vista on the Dell desktop?
Would the same be possible from another Dell desktop?

No and no.
Recovery disks are created for just a particular machine. If you found same Dell model.....maybe.

Would Vista Home and Home Premium come on different media, or is the same media used for both (selected by the product key)?

I may be wrong, but I believe that option was introduced with Windows 7.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 pcs365_2

pcs365_2

• Banned
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:09 PM

Hi,

Vista will install all the default drivers automatically, however it all depends on your hardware componenets and hardware manufacturer. Before installing windows vista please check with the DELL or goto their website to check if you have all the drivers available. Becuause your machine might be out of warrenty and DELL may not consider you for support any more.
Please reply with the details in next reply.

#6 D808Centaur

D808Centaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:32 PM

It is well out of warranty, and I wouldn't expect any support from them -- which is why I'm here now.

As explained in post #2, I have the service tag number, and when I entered this on the DELL support site it listed all the out-of-date drivers I had! I expect I can track down this site and update after I have reinstalled Vista.

#7 D808Centaur

D808Centaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:40 PM

A follow-up is in order.

The solution to the Vista CD turned out to be remarkably simple.
My employer buys DELL PCs and each one comes with a Re-installation DVD.
A quick request to the IT department (always worth being friendly with them!) produced a copy of Vista Ultimate...which worked!

Installation went without a hitch, and all the appropriate DELL driver s/w was available from their site using the service tag.
(The only vital driver was for the audio, as the default Windows driver wouldn't drive the rear speaker sockets.)

I haven't been asked for the Windows product key yet, but otherwise everything is up-and-running.

Cheers all

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:52 PM

Good news :huh:
Thanks for posting back :huh:

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users