Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jvmsl4

jvmsl4

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:55 PM

Intermittently I get the following message when I boot up:

client macaddr:001320e83c32 Guid:
B874F006 70D7 11DA A6B6 00EA68F733F

PXE-E53: No Boot Filename received

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent

I then have to turn the computer on and off a couple of times before it boots up normally

I use antispyware and anti virus frequently. Is my computer failing?

I have Gateway /GT5040

Win XP Media Center Edition ver 2002 SP3

Pentium 2.80GHZ 2.99GB Ram

Edited by hamluis, 19 May 2010 - 01:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:06 PM

<<Is my computer failing?>>

Probably not :thumbsup:, but your system is trying to do a network boot.

My experience is that this normally happens on systems where the CMOS battery is failing...which may return boot options to the original defaults first used.

If the system is a desktop...it will cost approx $4 (U.S.) to replace the battery and find out if that is cause of the change in boot options.

Since that system is a desktop...I'd take a $4 chance and replace the CMOS battery, being sure to insert the replacement exactly as the old way was inserted.

How to replace the CMOS battery. - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm. This document is old, there is no need to write down any settings before replacing the battery. Just check that the system is set to boot from hard drive...after changing the battery.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users