Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

redirect virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 TamiTX

TamiTX

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:41 PM

mad.gif AHHHHHHHH!!!!! My computer has the Google Redirect Virus! How do I get rid of it? I've tried McAfee & Hitman Pro 3.5. I've talked with McAfee techs for HOURS! Nothing is working! Help!!
I couldn't make the dds.txt log. My computer didn't recognize the scr file type as a screen saver. It saw it as an autocad script file. It's all jibberish!

Attached Files

• Attached File  ark.log   70.61KB   7 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:19 PM

Hello.

My name is Extremeboy (or EB for short), and I will be helping you with your log.

Can you get OTL to run perhaps? We need some information gathering in order to perform any steps otherwise we would only be shooting something in the dark not knowing the result.

---

We need to create an OTL Report
  1. Please download OTL from one of the following mirrors:
  2. Save it to your desktop.
  3. Double click on the icon on your desktop.
  4. Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.
  5. Under "Extra Registry" please check "Use Safelist" and also check "LOP Check" and "Purity Check" as pictured.
  6. Copy and Paste the following code into the textbox. Do not include the word "Code"

CODE
    netsvcs
    msconfig
    safebootminimal
    safebootnetwork
    activex
    drivers32
    %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\*.
    %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\*.exe /s
    %APPDATA%\*.
    %APPDATA%\*.exe /s
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    eventlog.dll
    scecli.dll
    netlogon.dll
    cngaudit.dll
    sceclt.dll
    ntelogon.dll
    logevent.dll
    iaStor.sys
    nvstor.sys
    atapi.sys
    IdeChnDr.sys
    viasraid.sys
    AGP440.sys
    vaxscsi.sys
    nvatabus.sys
    viamraid.sys
    nvata.sys
    nvgts.sys
    iastorv.sys
    ViPrt.sys
    eNetHook.dll
    ahcix86.sys
    KR10N.sys
    nvstor32.sys
    ahcix86s.sys
    /md5stop
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    %systemroot%\system32\*.dll /lockedfiles
    CREATERESTOREPOINT

7. Push
  8. Two reports will open, copy and paste them in a reply here:
    • OTListIt.txt <-- Will be opened
    • Extra.txt <-- Will be minimized

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 TamiTX

TamiTX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:48 AM

Here ya go...

Attached Files

#4 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:50 PM

Hello.

We will begin with Combofix and continue from there.

Download and Run ComboFix

Note to readers of this post other than the starter of this thread:
ComboFix is a VERY POWERFUL tool which should NOT BE USED without guidance of an expert.

Download Combofix from any of the links below, and save it to your desktop.
Link 1
Link 2

Please refer to this page for full instructions on how to run ComboFix.
  • Close/disable all anti-virus and anti-malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix. Refer to this page if you are not sure how.
  • Double click ComboFix.exe to start the program. Agree to the prompts.
  • When ComboFix is finished, a log report (C:\ComboFix.txt) will open. Post back with it.
Leave your computer alone while ComboFix is running.

ComboFix will restart your computer if malware is found; allow it to do so.

Note: Please Do NOT mouseclick combofix's window while its running because it may call it to stall.

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#5 TamiTX

TamiTX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:47 AM

If I could figure out how to turn McAfee off I would. I've looked at the page you recommended. It says to double click the icon in the taskbar. Then to click on advanced setting (lower left). That doesn't exist on my computer. Any other suggestions to turn mcaffee off? I'm truly considering uninstalling mcafee and finding a new anti virus program. Which ones would you suggest?

#6 TamiTX

TamiTX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:57 PM

Ok. I finally got McAfee shut down. Here's the combofix log...

Attached Files

#7 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:47 PM

Hello.

Here's how to shut-down McAfee properly if you need to do it next time: http://computermalwaresecurity.blogspot.co...completely.html

Combofix dealt with the TDL3 rootkit infection successfully. Right now, logs are looking good.

I'm truly considering uninstalling mcafee and finding a new anti virus program. Which ones would you suggest?

I do have a few freewares out there that I can provide, but we'll do that near the end once we make sure you're free of malware.

Let's get an online scan now.

Run Scan with Kaspersky

Please do a scan with Kaspersky Online Scanner. Please note: Kaspersky requires Java Runtime Environment (JRE) be installed before scanning for malware, as ActiveX is no longer being used.)

If you are using Windows Vista, open your browser by right-clicking on its icon and select 'Run as administrator' to perform this scan.

• Open the Kaspersky WebScanner
    page.
  • Click on the button on the main page.
  • The program will launch and fill in the Information section on the left.
  • Read the "Requirements and Limitations" then press the button.
  • The program will begin downloading the latest program and definition files. It may take a while so please be patient and let it finish.
  • Once the files have been downloaded, click on the ...button.
    In the scan settings make sure the following are selected:
    • Detect malicious programs of the following categories:
      Viruses, Worms, Trojan Horses, Rootkits
      Spyware, Adware, Dialers and other potentially dangerous programs
    • Scan compound files (doesn't apply to the File scan area):
      Archives
      Mail databases
      By default the above items should already be checked.
    • Click the button, if you made any changes.
  • Now under the Scan section on the left:

Select My Computer
  • The program will now start and scan your system. This will run for a while, be patient and let it finish.
  • Once the scan is complete, click on View scan report
  • Now, click on the Save Report as button.
  • Save the file to your desktop.
  • Copy and paste that information in your next post.
You can refer to this animation by sundavis if needed.

Take a new DDS run afterward and post back with both the DDS and Attach logs in your next reply. Also, let me know how your computer is running and if you have any more problems, issues or symptoms left.

Thanks.

With Regards,
Extremeboy

#8 TamiTX

TamiTX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:27 PM

The Kaspersky report...

Attached Files

#9 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:33 PM

Kaspersky detected was just what Combofix quarantined. Those will be removed once we uninstall Combofix at the end.

It's looking good so far. How's your computer running. You forgot the DDS logs however...

Take a new DDS run afterward and post back with both the DDS and Attach logs in your next reply. Also, let me know how your computer is running and if you have any more problems, issues or symptoms left.

Thanks.

With Regards,
Extremeboy

#10 TamiTX

TamiTX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:49 PM

I didn't do that because my computer doesn't recognize the scr type files as screensavers. It sees them as autocad script files. They come out as garbage. Is there something else I should run?

#11 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:27 PM

Hello.

Yes, sorry about that. Please run OTL instead. How's your computer operating now?

You mentioend you wish to install a different anti-virus software. You can find a list of Anti-Virus softwares here: http://computermalwaresecurity.blogspot.co...tware-list.html under the Anti-Virus Softwares heading. Install one and update it. Uninstall your McAfee once done.

Then...

Download and run OTL
  1. Download OTL by OldTimer and save it to your desktop.
  2. Double click on the icon on your desktop. If you are using Vista, please right-click and select run as administrator
  3. Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.
  4. Push the button.
  5. It will now begin to scan, please be paitent while it scans.
  6. Two reports will open once it's done.
  7. Please copy and paste them in your next reply:
    • OTL.txt <-- Will be opened
    • Extras.txt <-- Will be minimized

THanks.

#12 TamiTX

TamiTX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:17 PM

only made one txt file....
My machine seems to be running fine. Thx for the antivirus info. I'll check it out.

Attached Files

• Attached File  OTL.Txt   71.5KB   1 downloads

#13 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:28 PM

Hello.

That looks clean. Regarding the Autocad not allowing to run the .scr file that was normal. Posted a quick instruction on how to fix that here: http://computermalwaresecurity.blogspot.co...extensions.html if needed in the future.

Other than that it's clean and we can wrap up now.

Please follow/read the steps below to remove the tools we used and for some more information. smile.gif

Uninstall ComboFix

Remove Combofix now that we're done with it.
  • Please press the Windows Key and R on your keyboard. This will bring up the Run... command.
  • Now type in Combofix /Uninstall in the runbox and click OK. (Notice the space between the "x" and "/")
  • Please follow the prompts to uninstall Combofix.
  • You will then recieve a message saying Combofix was uninstalled successfully once it's done uninstalling itself.
This will uninstall Combofix and anything assoicated with it.

Download and Run OTC

We will now remove the tools we used during this fix using OTC.
  • Download OTC by OldTimer and save it to your desktop.
  • Double click icon to start the program. If you are using Vista, please right-click and choose run as administrator
  • Then Click the big button.
  • You will get a prompt saying "Being Cleanup Process". Please select Yes.
  • Restart your computer when prompted.

Congratulations! You now appear clean! specool.gif

Now that you are clean, please follow and read some of the prevention tips >over here<. Is your system a bit slow? If so, try some of the points and things suggested here.

If you would like, visit my http://computermalwaresecurity.blogspot.com/ and Subscribe/Follow along.

If you have no more questions, comments or problems please tell us, so we can close off the topic.

Thanks.

With Regards,
Extremeboy

#14 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:42 PM

Hello.

Since the problem appears to be resolved, this topic is now Closed. Glad we could help smile.gif
If you need this topic reopened, please Send Me a Message. In your message please include the address of this thread in your request.

This applies only to the original topic starter

Everyone else please start a new topic.

With Regards,
Extremeboy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users