Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading RAM

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Camelot

Camelot

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:41 PM

I have been given a Dell pc and it is an OptiPlex GX280.
I have 3.0Ghz for my processor yet when I am on certain pages like Farmville that became addicted to!, the CPU gets to be 100% on the Task Manager.

Right now I have 514KB and I would like to increase that. I think I can put 4GB in here.

Could you please tell me what cards to get?

Also, I upgrading the Ram in my old pc (which I am still using) and it was easy to do.

When I took the cover off this one to clean the dust, I seen 2 cards plugged in with a space between them and they looked nothing like my other pc. So, I don't know if that is the Ram. Plus, I would have thought there would only be one card there. The 2 cards did look alike.

Thanks for your help!
I love these boards!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:47 PM

Mainboard
Chipset Type Intel 915G Express

RAM
Installed Size 1 GB / 4 GB (max)
Technology DDR2 SDRAM
Memory Speed 400 MHz
Memory Specification Compliance PC2-3200
Form Factor DIMM 240-pin
Features Dual channel memory architecture

opti plex gx280 specs

Edit:
Adding RAM will speed your system up, but your problem might be more complicated. Make sure you have anti-malware programs to scan your system, such things can also cause increased system delays.

Edited by s1lents0ul, 19 May 2010 - 01:52 PM.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 Camelot

Camelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:47 PM

I did install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and ran that and it was fine.

I created a new user and deleted hers.

I also used CCleanup to remove some camera stuff.

I checked to defrag the disk and it stated that I didn't need to do it.

I also installed Zone Alarm for the firewall but it still has Trend on here which is good till Dec.

I just never installed a Spyware program. My other pc has Spyware Terminator and it has never found anything so I am not sure how good it is.

Put on Firefox and thought I got rid of IE but it popped up when something wanted to upgrade.

Is there anything else I should have done?

I went to that spec sheet and typed in the DDR2 and looked for the 400MHz and this card came up

2GBMB high performance, DDR2 PC2 3200, 400MHz, CL3, 240 Pin DIMM with life time warranty

So is this the right card and I get 2 of them?

#4 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:48 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...4-157-_-Product

that is 2gb of 2x1gb sticks...didnt know how many slots u had and ure budget. and if ure motherboard has 2 or 4 slots (guessing 2 since max is 4gb)

u could also try 2x2gb sticks to max out ure motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...1-145-_-Product

just keep in mind that the more u pay the better the ram.....the brands i would trust: kingston, gskill, crucial, and some patriot (some is good but not my first choice)

there are many choices out there.....but they mainly just go on what ure willing to spend, but just dont forget to read reviews and do some research first

good luck in choosing :thumbsup:

#5 Camelot

Camelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:17 PM

Do I have to open it back up to look at how many slots I have? I thought it could be told by the Mother Board design.

I am confused now because on the Newegg site, 1 of those cards say PC2 4200 and the other is PC2 8000. But on the spec sheet silentsoul sent, it states I need to use PC2 3200.

The only reason I want to find my own is I already chatted with Dell and their 1 2GB card is $76.00. They want me to buy this from them:
2GB DDR2-533 UDIMM FOR-FOR DELL A0515351 BDL (A2322990)

They wanted me to buy 2 of these so maybe I have 2 slots and I do want to go to 4GB.

#6 Rudy Rivera

Rudy Rivera

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:19 PM

You can also get RAM from Crucial. I use them for all my work computers. They have a scanner you can download and it'll tell you what RAM you currently have and will have other RAM you could purchase from Crucial.

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/index.aspx

Their turnaround time is excellent.

#7 Camelot

Camelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:01 PM

I did that scan and this is what I got:
http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/views...BC22E5231D926C3

So they are saying that I need to buy 4 separate 1GB cards for each slot. I thought I read I should get (2) 2GB cards.

Plus they list the bundle as a PC2-5300 and the other bundle is PC2-6400. Doesn't it matter about that number?

I haven't gotten that question answered yet about PC2 number. What number should I be using?

Does that number increase as the Ram goes up?

If so, then I should be using PC2-6400

#8 rayj0054

rayj0054

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:37 PM

the ddr2 pc6400 will perform faster than the ddr2 pc5300

#9 Camelot

Camelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:47 AM

That is what I thought about that number. Thanks.

Now as for getting (2) 2 GB cards or (4) 1 GB cards is the question.

Dell wanted me to get (2) 2GB cards at $75. a piece plus added on shipping and tax.

Wanted to find it cheaper and according to that Crucial scan I did:
http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/views...BC22E5231D926C3

They say I can only put 1GB in each slot?????????????

#10 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:03 PM

for 1 thing dont buy from dell...it is way cheaper to get from newegg and the no tax helps too.

and if u have a 32-bit operating system than the max ram u can have is 4gb...but if u have a 64-bit than u should be able to hold more...but i think it is possible for ure motherboard only to support 1gb a slot...but i really think it is because u might have a 32-bit system

in that case just go for what is cheaper...4 1gb sticks is the same power as 2 2gb sticks

#11 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:25 PM

The Dell OptiPlex GX280 comes in the following form factors:

Memory connectors

small form-factor computer: 2
small desktop computer: 4
desktop computer: 4
small mini-tower computer: 4
mini-tower computer: 4

So if it isn't a small form-factor computer, the motherboard should have four memory slots and support a maximum of 4GB.

Configurations: 2 X 2GB Or 4 X 1GB 533 MHz DDR2 (PC2 4200) Memory modules.

Some options : Newegg - PC2 4200 Memory

for 1 thing dont buy from dell...it is way cheaper to get from newegg and the no tax helps too.

Agreed.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 20 May 2010 - 07:28 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#12 Camelot

Camelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:10 PM

Ok I did check to see if I had the 64 bit and I didn't see it when I typed in that winver in Run.

So I will get 4 1GB boards.

I already looked at Newegg stuff.

How about this one and I order 2 of the bundles
http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.as...FE0BD8CA5CA7304

This is from Kahlon
http://www.kahlon.com/cart/AddCart.asp?removeitem=626877

I couldn't find any reviews on this one.

This is from Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820227124
On the reviews of this one it stated:
I was surprised to see that the RAM doesn't come with instructions or even recommended settings in the box. No wonder so many people are complaining that it just doesn't work- there's no indication on the RAM that you need to up your mobo's voltage to run it stable.
So I don't know what "mobo" is. This one seemed to have bad reviews.

It does look like the Crucial one. Could you please let me know if you are certain this will be the right one? I need to get 2 of those bundles to get the 4GB.

Well I just went and ordered 2 of those bundles from crucial and wanted to see what the s/h was to get a rough idea and they are out of stock!!! Ugh!

Edited by Camelot, 20 May 2010 - 11:31 PM.

#13 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:28 PM

You need to get ram that is the right speed for your system. The ram in your first link is pc26400, or ddr800. This means that to match your front bus speed must be 200 Mhz. There are many programs that can tell you your front bus speed, I use wcpuid. Also, know that ddr ram will not work in a ddr2 slot, you need to know which you have. You shouldn't mix memory either but your second link doesn't work so I can't tell if it is the same kind or not.

What you need to do is download wcpuid or similar facsimile, find out your front bus speed and whether you use ddr, ddr2, ddr3. The naming conventions for ram are based on these two things. Ram chip speed times 8 where your ram chip speed is double the front bus speed and ddr ram is 8 bytes wide. So 200 Mhz front bus speed times 2 is 400 Mhz times 8 bytes is pc3200. DDR2 is 16 bytes across.

I know it's confusing as hell so if you post front bus speed and what kind of ram (ddr, ddr2, ddr3) I'll do it for you. DDR stands for double data rate and it makes ram faster by speeding it up double the speed of the front side bus, safely. Getting the wrong speed DDR ram will cause problems, maybe not even boot or cause damage. The 2 and 3 are just for updates to electronics making it faster with less power, but they won't work in a motherboard not designed for them.

Edited by thrillhouse, 21 May 2010 - 12:16 AM.

#14 Camelot

Camelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:01 AM

I did that system scanner from crucial and that board was in the list is why I chose it.

I went and downloaded that wcpuid. That was interesting. I just clicked on one of the apps in the list and a window popped up. I couldn't copy the window but I wrote down the stuff
Internal Clock 2992.57 MHz
System bus 798.02 MHz QDR
I still have the window open if you chime back.

I couldn't find anything there about front side bus.

The only specs I have is this:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz...p;os=tech-specs

I just want 4 memory cards to fit this each at 1GB.

#15 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:08 AM

Wow, that means your front side bus is 800Mhz, mine is only 200MHz. The link you have says you use ddr2.

So, 800mhz front side bus, I can't figure out which speed you need but I am looking.

Edited by thrillhouse, 21 May 2010 - 12:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users