Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RECYCLER

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lennyh

lennyh

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 02 October 2005 - 06:58 AM

last night i was rummaging through my system files and found RECYCLER.it contained two files that i didnt recognize, so i had hijackthis remove one on reboot.duh.not a good move, because now my system wont boot. it shows the blue HP screen and trys to start again. beeps, and trys again. but it will not start my o.s..i tried to boot in safe mode, but the same result.try to boot from disc, to use the restore utility,but at the c:\windows prompt when i hit enter it shows the c:\windows prompt again.im pretty sure i removed the boot directory, but sure could use a second opinion.thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 02:14 PM

Did you try to start the Last Known Good Configuration:
Start tapping the F* key when start the computer as if you were going to Safe Mode and then Choose:

Last Known Good Configuration

#3 lennyh

lennyh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2005 - 09:51 AM

hi bud. yes i did but no good. icould get into my sys bios and at the end of the list on the black screeni found error 0210 stuck key c10 or something like that.im on the sys @work. so i cant recall the exact error.im still trying though. thanks again.lenny

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 03 October 2005 - 10:04 AM

When you get back home, let us know the exact error that you encountered, and we can work from there.

You may want to try a repair install of Windows by booting from your CD with the OS disk in the drive. A guide for this is here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If the repair install fails, there's probably not much else left to do except for a format and reinstall (IMO).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2005 - 11:52 AM

The Recycler folder is where the recycle bin deleted files for each user is stored and should recreate itself after reboot, I am thinking this did not cause your problem.

The error you received points to the keyboard.
If you have an extra KB or can borrow one thy that, do not press the keys while booting as you could be sending to many different commands at one time.

#6 lennyh

lennyh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2005 - 07:39 AM

thanks fellas. the keyboard didnt help and i am in the middle of trying this.my system has 2 hard drives,C and D. i use D to edit my music that i digitaly record.then i save it to C as a mp3 so i can put it on disc. this means that D, is essentialy empty.so what i did last night was to load XP pro onto D,and im going to attempt to asess the damage on C through there. im thinking,as scary as that sounds,that i should be able to do a restore on C that way.i'll let you know what i find. i really just dont want to loose all of my son and my original compositions in progress.if you have any more suggestions i will gladly accept them all.thanks again, lenny.

#7 lennyh

lennyh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2005 - 11:29 AM

well yall i did load xp home onto my D drive, and check this out. when it finished loading i shut down the sys and went on to bed. the next eening i booted the sys, and on the black screen it recognized my original xp pro and the new xp home.i clicked on pro and it fired up. a short time later,i realized that i had left the disc in my drive and removed it.as soon as i did all i had was my desktop with no functions.i put the disc back and it ran fine. whats missing?

#8 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2005 - 03:06 PM

Lenny
I have a couple of questions because I am totally turned around.

What OS is on drive C:\? (Home or Pro)
Do you have Restore Disks or Retail XP ?
Restore Disks = Disk that come with the computer and will only restore the computer to factory settings.
Retail Disk = Disks that you purchased to put XP on your computer.

Do you have any important data on Drive D: ?
Is the OS the only thing on D: ?

It appears you have created a mess. We will see if we can get it figured out.

#9 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2005 - 05:25 PM

this is a retail disc.the os on c is xp pro and the os on d is home.

Lets do this and see if we can repair the boot.ini file.
You will need to enter the BIOS and set the CD Drive as the first boot drive.
1.Boot with XP CD or 6 floppy boot disk set.

2. Press R to load the Recovery Console.

3. Type bootcfg.

4. This should fix any boot.ini errors causing setup not to see the OS
install.

If this doesn't work lets do a repair install with the XP Pro. Make sure you repair the correct OS.

http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users