Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

the dreaded endless rebooting loop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 StrangeTurtle

StrangeTurtle

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:52 PM

Hi I do all the tech support for my family and friends, but now I am truly stumped. The computer is a dell dimension 8400 it all started with a BSOD with errors I tracked down and replaced the ram. Great no trouble, then I did a windows restore from the OEM disk that came with the computer and was still fine. although it only had sp 1 on it. Went in to fix Thunderbird which had hiccuped and lost all emails and settings while trying to fix that the computer suddenly rebooted and has left me in the reboot from hell loop. gets to windows logo and reboots no error or anything. Here is what I have tried already EVERYthing stills reboots the SAME- safe mode, repair windows, fixboot, fixmbr, turned off all peripherals in bios, Ran diagnostics on all hardware all check out fine, bootcfg /Rebuild, Perform an in-place upgrade, Cannot get in windows to Disable automatic restart , piggybacked it to my computer and all files and settings are there. There are no errors, also ran nortons adaware and spybot from there. I think that's all but I may have forgotten somethings. Now I am trying to use the Ultimate Boot disk and when trying to boot next device I get "cannot get disk Parameters". Is there anything else I can try before I give up and reformat the HDD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:36 PM

Before I wasted time trying to reformat the hard drive...I'd run the appropriate long diagnostic on it. Sounds to me as if that might be the problem.

I would also slave it to a second system...and see if Event Viewer features any "disk" or "drive" errors.

Of course...I would move any desired data files from it before doing any of this.

The other alternative is consider the possibility that the file structure is damaged...usually, XP will indicate such with an error message of some type. Not sure what an "in-place upgrade" is, but if it's a repair install...then that only removes Windows from consideration as the culprit. Leaving malware and hardware as suspects.

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Dell Diagnostics - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...lang=en&cs=

And...don't misinterpret this. I'm not saying that the hard drive IS the problem, it's just the hardware item that I would start with.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 May 2010 - 01:36 PM.

#3 StrangeTurtle

StrangeTurtle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:50 PM

As I stated I ran several kinds of diagnostic software mostly on the hard drive it All tests check out Ok no errors

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:56 PM

Well...that being the case...it seems that you have eliminated all suspects. I don't know what to suggest.

Louis

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:42 PM

Is there anything else I can try before I give up and reformat the HDD

boot to windows cd and run recover console and do a CHKDSK /P/R

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic