Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Will Not Boot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Alexa Gilliland

Alexa Gilliland

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:40 PM

I am running Windows Vista Home edition with SP2.

As of last night, Windows will not boot on my computer.

I believe this problem started after we got some rogue antispyware (Your PC Protector) and ran Spybot S&D and Malwarebytes. They fixed the problem, or so I thought, but shortly after, we started getting the "Windows failed to start" thing.

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.
To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart the computer.
2. Choose your language settings and click next.
3. Click "repair your computer"

It also gives me the following options:

4. Safe Mode
5. Safe Mode with networking
6. Safe Mode with Command Prompt
7. Last known good configuration
8. Start Windows normally"

We would usually choose 7 or 8. Sometimes it would start normally and sometimes it would take me back to the same page, where I would have to repeat the process once or twice until it would start normally. Other than that, the computer has worked normally and the performance hasn't been affected at all.

Last night, the same "Windows failed to start" thing appeared, I chose option 8, and it took me to a new page. The top part is the same, but after the first three steps about using the installation disc, it says:

"If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\System32\Drivers\rymncrrt.sys
Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing, or corrupt."

We restarted the computer, shut it down, unplugged it, unplugged and replugged all cords, unplugged all USB devices, etc. We still get this same system error no matter which boot option we choose.

We downloaded the Windows Vista Recovery Disc from Neosmart.net and booted from disc, selected "repair computer", and ran all the options.

Startup Repair will run for a few minutes and then a popup box will appear with an application error.

"The exception Breakpoint
A breakpoint has been reached.
(0x80000003) occured in the application at location
0x73a8764a

Click on OK to terminate the program."

Then we tried System Restore. There are three checkpoints, the 15th, 16th, and 18th of May. All will give the same error message and we've tried all multiple times.

"System Restore did not completely successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.
Details: System Restore failed due to an unxpected error.
The file exists (0x80070050)"

We've run the Memory Diagnostic Tool a few times and no errors were found. There's also an option for Command Prompt. We've run "chkdsk" and it comes up with no errors.

What else should or can we do? Thanks so much for any help you can give and I'd be happy to provide any additional information.

P.S. As a side note, we have also had some issues with Windows not starting when my boyfriend's Ipod is plugged in. As soon as we unplug it, it starts normally. I think that's fairly common but wanted to mention it in case that might have something to do with it.

Edited by Pandy, 20 May 2010 - 09:29 PM.
Moved from Windows Vista to a more appropriate forum ~Pandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:13 PM

I guess that I am confused...does the system boot today?

Either normally or in safe mode?

Louis

#3 Alexa Gilliland

Alexa Gilliland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE(hamluis @ May 19 2010, 02:13 PM) View Post
I guess that I am confused...does the system boot today?

Either normally or in safe mode?

Louis

No. Whereas before it would boot eventually, as of yesterday it will not at all. We've tried about 5000 times.

#4 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:05 PM

Hi Alexa Gilliland

Welcome to Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal (VTSMR) forum.

I see you have a topic here and the problem seems to be resolved: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1490986

Could you confirm it please?

#5 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 30 May 2010 - 05:49 AM

This thread will now be closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users