Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Not working due to Virus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SkipDiver

SkipDiver

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:38 AM

I was trying to get an updated BIOS for my computer, still unsuccessful on that one, but once I downloaded the program from what I thought was a legitament website, my computer needed to restart, and once it did that, that keyboard stopped working after Logo screen. The ONLY light that will work now on the keyboard when plugged in to ANY of the USB slots is the F-Lock key that it has for the added F functions.
I KNOW this is not a hardware issue, so don't send me there. I have done some research and this is a virus issue that has apparently deleted the USB registry key from the registry itself....apparently. Or so I am understanding.
Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I originally had a password on my logon screen but went into another non-password account and did the onscreen keyboard then copied my password so that I could paste it when I did a "transfer user." It worked, and with my mouse, that still works in the OS, I deleted the password to make backing up and logging in easier.
Please, if there is some great solution, let me know. I read something about "Bart" but I am not sure how to use that program 100% and if that would work.

Thanks for all of your time.

DJ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thicool

thicool

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:40 PM

if this problem only effects the USB keyboard, to make your life easier until this problem is resolved, switch to a PS2 keyboard if you have one accesible.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:52 PM

I personally would not update the BIOS on any computer except if the BIOS addresses an issue that you are experiencing. Flashing the BIOS with the wrong one, or if the flash fails could render you computer useless and unrepairable! Be forwarned!!

As far as the USB issue is concerned, try plugging in a USB mouse or a jump drive.
If they work correctly then the USB on your system is functioning

The only way to know for certain that this is not a hardware issue is to try your keyboard on another system.
If it does the same thing on another system replace the keyboard
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 SkipDiver

SkipDiver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:53 PM

This only happens on this computer. IT works fine in the Bios. Just when that XP logo appears, it shuts down.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:04 PM

Do other USB devices work correctly?

Can you try the keyboard in safe mode?
To enter safe mode turn your computer on from a cold start. As soon as it beeps start tapping the F8 key repeatedly.
The startup menu will appear. Use your arrow keys to go to safe mode and hit enter. It will look different and take longer to load. Try it then.

In all the years tht I have been killing viruses and malware I have never heard of one that affects a keyboard but I suppose that anything is possible!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:06 AM

Have a look at this thread:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/278884/desktop-keyboard-driver-corruptedmissing/

Let's have a quick look in the registry to check out one possible cause for the keyboard(s) not working ....

WARNING:
(The information provided requires using the Windows Registry Editor.)
Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.
Do NOT make any changes while using the Registry Editor to obtain the necessary information.

Start > Run > and type "regedit" and press
Navigate to the following key, in the left window pane ...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} <<< key

and highlight it (left-click on it). *Be sure to locate the correct key.
Now, in the right-hand-side window pane, you will see on the left under "Name", "UpperFilters".
Double-click on "UpperFilters" and a small window will open.
Please record the items you see listed in the window under "Value data".

Now click "Cancel" to close the small window.
Now, close the Registry Editor window.

Please post the list of "the items you see listed in the window under "Value data"".
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 SkipDiver

SkipDiver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:42 AM

I actually bought a 1Tb SATA drive to replace the drive that had the possible virus on it, but I will go back in and put the 500Gb IDE back in with the "no keyboard working" system on it and try that. I am having difficulty with my SATA as the operating system drive over my IDE drive with the motherboard that I have. So I might just have to get that drive to actually work. I'll let you know what I come up with and post those findings. Thanks.

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:21 PM

I'll let you know what I come up with and post those findings.

I will look forward to your next post with interest.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users