Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

combofix lock out

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 needs2listen

needs2listen

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:13 AM

After getting hit with a rootkit I ignored the warning and ran combofix unassisted from the root (C:) of my Toshiba Satellite M45 over a month ago. It asks for a bootable cd no matter what the boot priority is. I have a usb kit to hook the hdd up to a spare desktop so I backed up my important files through testdisk and now want to try to fix it without resorting to the factory cd.

Where do I go from here? I realize once it is booting again, if possible, the infections are still there and would need properly removed. Since I can afford to wipe it out would it be more beneficial to do that than waste your guys time? I'm not even sure it will properly detect the HDD at this point as I've managed to keep the recovery cd in its shrink wrap for 5+ years. I'm also worried this stuff has caused some bad sectors. Please point me in the best direction, thank you! If this is in the wrong area I apologize.

Edited by needs2listen, 19 May 2010 - 05:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 needs2listen

needs2listen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:51 AM

My Toshiba factory cd will not complete the job. It keeps rebooting and starting the process over when I hit 'C' to allow it to format. At this point I am ready to format but I'm guessing I need to either use a Recovery Console iso or testdisk to repair the mbr/tables. I have to take a trip this weekend and was hoping to have this fixed weeks ago to bring along. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 19 May 2010 - 03:03 PM.
Move to AII as no logs posted. ~ OB

#3 needs2listen

needs2listen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:48 PM

Ok I got my hdd booting again by using testdisk to rewrite the partition tables and everything seems intact. Upon reboot it continued running Combofix and deleted some items and rebooted again. Now it is preparing the log report and I'm not sure what to do exactly when its finished. How do I run the cleanup from here? It installed recovery console so that is at boot initially.

Edit: log report finished, let me know if i need to post it looks like there are still some possible nasties.

Edited by needs2listen, 24 May 2010 - 01:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users