Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

high rate of blocked intrusions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 josh

josh

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 01 October 2005 - 10:53 PM

Hi, I use zone pro 5.5 as my firewall and as of recently I have been blocking a crazy amount of intrusions and access attempts. Can anyone explain to me why this could be happening?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 01 October 2005 - 11:35 PM

josh,

It's been my experience that intrusion alerts are a cyclic thing. And as long as you're being protected, and they stay alerts and nothing more. It's no big thing. Worrying about what ifs and where they are coming from is an effort in futility. See the logs and know that you're being protected, and smile knowingly. After a while the intruders will see that you're protected, and move along till the next batch of snoopers finds your IP and tries.

Be (Firewall) Safe

Da Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 josh

josh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 05:10 PM

By a crazy amount of blocked intrusions I meant like over 2000 in the past 2 weeks. I never used to receive even close to that amount. Should I still not be concerned?

#4 josh

josh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2005 - 05:15 PM

Ok.....
Today my zone alarm firewall blocked just under 10,000 access and intrusion attempts. To me this seems absolutely insane. Can anyone explain to me reasons why I could be getting attacked so much?

Thanx

Edited by josh, 03 October 2005 - 10:40 PM.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2005 - 12:49 PM

Josh,

10K is a bit much. Have you run any malware scans, if so which ones, and what were the results? Do you have any P2P software running? Any additional information would be helpful. Do you have the logs of what the intrusion IP's are?

Be (Intrusion) Safe

Da Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#6 josh

josh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2005 - 02:28 AM

Hey thanks for the reply. I run spybot SD and Adaware checks regularly and they come up clean. I do run some P2P software (azureus) and I do play on online poker sites although I never have seen attempted intrusions at this amount before and my internet activity has been relatively consistent over the past year. I do have logs of my attacks, is it worth tracing the ip's down and possibly contacting their internet providers? I am totally in the dark when it comes to this stuff... Any suggestions?

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2005 - 10:49 PM

Josh,

Use the links below to do some further testing. And also follow the HJT instructions.

Housecall Use Autoclean.
Panda ActiveScan
Bitdefender Check off Autoclean.
eTrust Check off Cure when the scan is done.
RAV Check off Autoclean.

Your best option right now is to submit a HiJack This Log for our team to review. See How to submit a Hijackthis Log for instructions.

Our HiJack Team are all volunteers and are very busy right now. You should receive a reply in 2-3 days. Please wait until a team member posts to your thread. Since our submitted logs are lined up by date and time, if you were to post into that topic before a team member replies, that reply would be the new date and time thus moving you backwards in the line. Once you do receive a reply things will move along quickly. If you do not receive a reply in five days post a notice here.

Be (P2P) Safe

Da Animal

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users