Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

itunes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 splackavellie

splackavellie

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 01 October 2005 - 10:41 PM

anyone here use itunes? just a quick question about when you upgrade to a newer version. usually when i upgrade, i uninstall the old one first before i install the newer version. however with itunes i dont know if that would be the best choice.

if i uninstall and reinstall the new version, will i have to put all my songs into itunes again? or will the new version recognize all the songs from my music folder? i know when i went from musicmatch to itunes, i couldnt just tell itunes where my music folder is and it will recognize all the songs there, i had to manually put each song i had into itunes. dont want to have to do that again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 01 October 2005 - 11:23 PM

I use iTunes, I usually just upgrade over the old program unless the upgrade is to a new revision number (ie: version 4.0 to version 4.1, I will just install over the old software. Version 4.x to version 5.0 I will uninstall the old software first). The reasoning being that a new revision usually incorporates some major changes so I want as clean an install as possible. Either way you choose to do this update will work fine.

Your iTunes user information is contained in the two files (iTunes Music Library and iTunes Library) that are inside the iTunes folder in My Music. If you uninstall the old version these files along with your music remain in this folder and when you reinstall iTunes will find this information and just reload your old account.

I have never had a problem with losing music by uninstalling the old software but to be on the safe side I would recommend that you copy your music files to a backup disk to protect you in case something ever happens to your computer.

Tip: when you backup your music files, save the two files mentioned above also and you will not have to waste any time setting iTunes up again if you ever move to a new computer or restore your computer from a backup disk. Just copy your music and these two files back into the iTunes folders in My Music and everything will be like it was before.

Here is a link to a PDF file that explains how to use your iTunes music library to greater effect;
http://www.phptr.com/content/images/013148...454_pp79-86.pdf
There is no justice, there is just us.

#3 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 12:58 AM

uninstalled the old version and the installed the new version. seems that iTunes found all my songs and had no problem.

but i do get this warning each time i open iTunes

"The registry settings used by the iTunes drivers for importing and burning Cds and DVDs are missing. This can happen as a result of installing other CD burning software. Please reinstall iTunes."

dont know what that means. i have nero installed on my comp so could this be a problem?

#4 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 02 October 2005 - 01:02 AM

I have had this happen before also, and it was after updating Nero that I had the problem. iTunes just needs to be reinstalled to replace the missing file.

Edited by Ronbo, 02 October 2005 - 01:03 AM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

#5 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 01:23 AM

i didnt do anything with nero. it has been there. i already tried to repair it instead of uninstalling and reinstalling but no luck. so i guess completely uninstall it and then reinstall it again? how about the quicktime that comes with it?

also how do i disable itunes from accessing the gracenote database whenever i insert a cd? before it doesnt do it automatically. i would have to manually tell it to connect with gracenote if i wanted to get the info on the cd and i prefer to keep it this way

#6 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2005 - 06:17 PM

hhhmmm something is wierd. okay so i have had itunes5 for about a week now. it seemed like all was well until recently. today when i opened itunes, non of my songs were listed. it was still set to look at my "Music" folder on my desktop, but it listed nothing. also all my playlist were gone.

i went to "file" and added the "Music" folder to my library again but all my playlist are gone now. also it seems that not all the songs in my music folder got added. there are some 10 or so songs that were not added and i dont know which songs are those

any ideas why this would happen? also is it possible to go back to what i had with all my playlist. if not then how can i prevent this in the future?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users