Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Older System, New Monitor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alaska-Traveler

Alaska-Traveler

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:55 PM

HELP! I bought a new flat-screen monitor for my old HP Pavilion xt928, upgraded to 384 MB SDRAM.
My system is XP Home. The new monitor is one of the new wide-screen types - Samsung. SynMaster 2033SW. The driver is..I think....SynMaster Magic CX2033SW (Analog).

All images on the new monitor are stretched to fit the wide screen and every picture of my beautiful baby daughter looks goofy.

How can I make this old computer accept the new wide-screen and display the images correctly. I loaded the drivers, etc., but no help. I went to control panel and played with the settings, but there does not seem to be an option that works. I think my old HP was made before the wide-screens were invented!

Thanks for the help!

Edited by Alaska-Traveler, 17 May 2010 - 05:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:32 PM

The key is what the max settings for resolution made available by your HP Pavilion xt928.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...eriesId=3368537

The Intel 810 chipset has a max resolution of 1024x768.

You could buy an inexpensive graphics card and install it, if you have a free PCI slot...and that would help the limited amount of RAM you have installed.

As your system is currently setup, some of your RAM is being used for video purposes, which is not a problem as long as users have a decent amount of RAM in the system.

The default resolution for your monitor is 1600x900.

Examples of PCI Video Cards

Another Candidate

Simply put...your system's video has been overcome by technological advance. IMO, it would be worthwhile to put in a PCI video card and enjoy the monitor.

Louis

#3 Alaska-Traveler

Alaska-Traveler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:13 PM

Thanks hamluis. I have ordered a card from one of the links you were so helpful to include. I will post again when I have it installed.

#4 Alaska-Traveler

Alaska-Traveler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:30 PM

Good grief, bleeping computer!
I bought a Diablotek ATI VAR 128P-32P Rage 128 Pro Video Card for my old HP computer as described above for the problem described above.
First, the new video card drivers, furnished on a CD, are for Windows NT or 95 or 98 or 2000. I have XP so I down-loaded the XP driver from the Diablotek web-site. I installed the new video card into an open PCI slot......now the problems start.... On computer boot/start-up computer tells me there is a conflict and to pick the video adapter I want to use. I select PCI-2 as that is where the new video card is installed. Computer also tells me to uninstall the onboard video program, but there is no uninstall button to click as it suggests. OK, I go to the Control Panel, System, Device Manager, Display Adapters and select to uninstall the Intel 82810 Graphics Controller,,,,,but if I uninstall I can not use my monitor to install my new video card, etc., etc., etc. Oh, I forgot… I also had to download a RAR program to read the XP Driver from Diablotek. Now the drivers, programs, Set-up wizard are all on my Desktop, but when I click on them I always get messages telling me something is wrong. I still can not figure out how to uninstall and re-install a new video card without loosing my monitor - which I need to finish an install…good grief this bleeping computer!
Please, I need a click-by-click description of what to do.
Thanks, Alaska-Traveler.

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:15 AM

feeling your pain, a-t,

same thing happened to my ati driven video with the old 1024x768 resolution signaling into the new 1600x900 widescreen. my fontsize went up 1.4167 (isn't that a yeoman number to the middle ages era architects?) on all apps, feels like i am reading the geezer readers digest with the scaled up typeset. images still display in good ratio though. my best input to this thread is to see about returning the widescreen and look for the more squarish flatscreen, they are still around, albeit a rare find...saw one at comp usa but it was a 17 incher.

Abe Froman, Chilli King of Cincinnati

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:57 PM

took the plunge,

decided to update my drivers for my ati radeon x300 128mb memory with new driver to provide the 1600x900 resolution that was missing for the new monitor(only could get up to 1280x768 with existing setup which led to the scaled up typeset) and from reading through the posts somewhere in the 30s page range in this forum , got lead to http://ati.amd.com/products/radeon9800/rad...0pro/specs.html to get the new upgrade installation software, then deleted my existing drivers and went for the install, the install failed and panic ensued, then with what display i had left, googled for my specific hardware setup, got led to nodevice.com for the zip , installed and shazaam, display is looking awesome. Hope this helps.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:30 PM

Leave the new video card out and install the drivers for the card. Then install the card. See if that works.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users