Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading motherboard on existing windows 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 acornman37

acornman37

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:33 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to upgrade my motherboard from a Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 to a Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H. I currently have a copy of Windows 7 professional running, which I had upgraded to from Windows XP using a Windows 7 professional upgrade disc.

Since I'm anticipating that it's very likely that I'll have to do a fresh install of windows 7 to accommodate the new mobo, will this upgrade disc allow me to install windows 7 onto a new hard drive? -I'll probably buy a small boot drive to install windows onto when I put the new hardware together. If I have to, I can install XP onto the new drive and upgrade to Windows 7 with the disc. Is this plausible?

The last thing I want is to have to purchase a new copy of windows just to upgrade my hardware :huh: . Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:36 PM

Since I'm anticipating that it's very likely that I'll have to do a fresh install of windows 7 to accommodate the new mobo, will this upgrade disc allow me to install windows 7 onto a new hard drive? -

You will be able to use the origional disk, you will have to activte it also, but believe it or not, it will install and activate it.

If in the event it does fail and repeatedly fails, you can call an 800 number displayed on the screen that tells you your activation failed, once you call it, an automated system will give you a new key to enter into a box and actiavtion will happen, but I want to stress this happens only in real rare cases. In most cases activation will happen flawlessly.

I know, I have done it many times.

Just do not try running the same Windows 7 on two machines at the same time and try to activate BOTH copies, it then will make you purchase a new key for the second activation.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:43 PM

If I have to, I can install XP onto the new drive and upgrade to Windows 7 with the disc. Is this plausible?

If you install Windows XP first and then the upgrade it will be a pain. long story short. Trust me, just do what I suggest below.

If your Windows 7 disk is an upgrade disk, you can still install Windows 7 as if it was a FULL VERSION disk.

Insert your Windows 7 UPGRADE disk into a drive and BOOT from it, when the screen loads choose INSTALL, Do NOT believe that crap that you have to have a FULL version of Windows 7 to do this That is plain B.S.! I have installed Windows 7 on many machines on an empty hard drive using just the upgrade disk. Period.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 18 May 2010 - 10:48 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 acornman37

acornman37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:47 PM

Thanks for your reply. That's definitely a relief to know that I can reuse the disc. :huh: I was just concerned because like you said I tried activating Windows on two computers before and it hadn't allowed me to do that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users