Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista laptop has local only access on home network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 puryears

puryears

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:31 PM

I just upgraded to cable internet from DSL. I installed a DOCSIS 3.0 modem and a wireless N router. My Windows XP laptop had no problem with the change, however my Windows Vista laptop now sees my home network as a public network and only allows local access (no internet access). If I attach an ethernet cable between the Vista machine and the router, it allows access to the internet with no problem. I took the Vista laptop to another wireless network (my inlaws) and the Vista laptop connected to the internet.
I've cycled power on the cable modem, router, and laptop several times. I've disabled, enabled, removed, and reconnected to the wireless network several times. I've poured through several old forum posts and none of those solutions have worked for me. Does anyone have any idea what I need to do so that my Vista laptop can connect to the internet via my new wireless N router?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:34 PM

If you right click the network Icon in your system tray you will see Network and sharing center.

once you click this you'll see Public Network in the middle of your screen, below where it says View your active networks there is a blue link next to it. Click this and another window will open, with three choices you can click.

Home

Work

Public

Click HOME and it will change it from PUBLIC to HOME.

Now your internet will be like it is on your Windows XP machine.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 puryears

puryears
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:51 PM

I opened the Network and Sharing Center as instructed above, but your instructions do not match what I am seeing in Windows Vista. The following is displayed in the Network and Sharing Center

Unidentified network (Public Network) Customize
Access Local only
Connection Wireless Network Connection View Status
Signal strength: Excellent Disconnect

The words on the right are hyperlinks and by selecting customize it opens the "set network location" menu where I can select the location type as either Public or Private. Unfortunately, selecting "private" does nothing to improve connectivity to the internet.

IN the Network and Sharing Center there is also an image of a computer with a connection line to "unidentified network" and another line leading to a globe for the internet, however there is a red X over this line to the internet.

Clicking the red X previously mentioned starts the Windows Network Diagnostics, which runs for approximately a minute and then indicates
"Your modem or router is not available". There are 3 suggeted solutions:
1. Cycle power on the modem
2. Automatically get new IP settings for the network adapter
3. Rest the network adapter

Sadly, none of the 3 above solutions corrects the lack of connectivity to the internet.

Any other ideas???

Edited by puryears, 19 May 2010 - 07:59 PM.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:32 AM

I know it worked at another place but have you removed the wireless drivers and software, rebooted and reinstalled with new drivers? Just curious

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users