Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System standby and Hibernate...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cpumelter

cpumelter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:02 PM

When I look at the CP settings, I see different time settings under the "Power Schemes" tab. Then there is also the "Hibernate" tab, when you can click the enable box. If I just click the enable box, is that all I need to do, or should I also go into the power schemes tab & adjust the different time settings?

This is something that I never really fooled with, because it the earlier days of windows I always heard that it caused problems. I step away from my pc for 30 min. to an hour + several times a day, so i am trying to decide what settings I need to go with here.

Ideas/suggestions welcome! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:37 PM

I don't use hibernate...and I normally leave everything on my system in the "never turn off" category.

I don't mind making my local power company...a thriving entity :thumbsup:. I'm not convinced that the power usage differentials are significant enough for me to be concerned about system power settings.

Louis

#3 cpumelter

cpumelter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:03 PM

I don't use hibernate...and I normally leave everything on my system in the "never turn off" category.

I don't mind making my local power company...a thriving entity :thumbsup:. I'm not convinced that the power usage differentials are significant enough for me to be concerned about system power settings.

Louis

Hmmm...yeah, that's what I was looking at. I have been on "green" websites where they cite the power savings as being substantial.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:28 PM

Well...I just look at my power bill...in the same manner that I look at my cable bill. I'm going to pay, no matter what it is...and my power/utilities cost less monthly than my cable services.

The green concept is a good one...when it actually is applied to something that has an impact, IMO. Heating and cooling my apartment seem to have a much greater impact on my bills/power requirements...than running my computers as long as I'm awake :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:38 PM

The hibernate function was really created for power savings on laptops were battery time is a premium. Like Hamlius said the power savings for a desktop is nominal. You will actually save more electricity by turning of your monitor.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#6 cpumelter

cpumelter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for the info., guys. Now, I have an issue that has popped up here... I decided to enable hibernate last evening, just to mess up things I guess, lol. Now, when I go into the power options, there is no hibernate tab there!

I can't turn off hibernate now, since I can't get into that tab. Is there an easy fix for this? I was thinking of rolling it back with system restore to fix things, I guess that would do it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users