Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

De-fragmenting

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BrainyTehBrain

BrainyTehBrain

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:39 PM

I've used my computer for a while and some guy said I should defragment it to make it faster. Is this true and how do I defragment it

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:45 PM

No there is not a performance increases and it is just better off leaving it alone... :thumbsup:

Edited by computerxpds, 18 May 2010 - 04:03 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 BrainyTehBrain

BrainyTehBrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:46 PM

What exactly does it do

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:03 PM

Defragmenting is what you need to do when your files on your computer are “fragmented”. Fragmented simply means the files are broken up into pieces (or fragments). Actually it would not hurt to do one i was trying to find a really informative post about it but i could not locate it. :thumbsup: But you can use the built in defragmenter in windows..
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:25 PM

The Importance of Disk Defragmentation - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/the-importance-of-disk-defragmentation/

Using Windows Defrag - http://www.geekgirls.com/windows_defrag.htm

I would suggest running the chkdsk /r command before defragging. Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (space between k and /) and hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen query and hit Enter. Reboot the system, the command will run before booting into XP.

Louis

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:02 PM

There was a really good thread here recently about how a hard disk becomes fragmented
Why files become fragmented
Its kind of a long read but a really good explanation
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:08 PM

There was a really good thread here recently about how a hard disk becomes fragmented
Why files become fragmented
Its kind of a long read but a really good explanation

Thats what i was looking for. thanks Eyesee. :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:20 PM

:thumbsup:

I really liked the simplicity of the library book analogy

Defragmenting is one thing I do as a courtesy on every computer I work on
I find that it does make a difference in performance
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users