Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hp pavilion HD with external drive enclosure

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rkoelsch

rkoelsch

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:17 PM

My nephews hp computer had stopped working. being old he didn't want to do any repair just get his photos off the HD. So I took the samsung HD out used the 32mb slave jumper settings and put it in an external drive enclosure. the device is recognized but no drive letter is installed. I can see the drive complete with partitions in computer management but the only option I have is to format it. Any suggestions? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:58 PM

I have to ask...why use the 32MB jumper setting?

I would have just connected it directly to the motherboard (if possible), using the appropriate jumper setting. That eliminates a few possible complicating factors if the drive doesn't work.

If you can see the drive in Disk Management but you cannot see the file structure...chances are the file structure or the drive itself is in trouble and you may need to try data recovery software to access any files on said drive.

Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File Recovery - Home - http://www.recuva.com/

Louis

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:49 PM

As state above I would remove the drive from the enclosure and install it in a tower to remove the possibility of problems with the external enclosure.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 rkoelsch

rkoelsch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:23 PM

It is an ide drive and my computer only has sata connections. The external drive works for other disks drives. I have tried several jumper settings and I get different results. On some it sees the drive and gives it a letter but it says it is not formatted. On others it sees the drive, the hp recovery partition fat32 and the other partition ntfs but will not assign it a drive letter. In disk management the only option i have for the drive is to delete the partition.

hmm If I format the drive can I then use recurva to look for the files?

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:52 PM

Format and pray is not a good option.. Is there another PC you can try it on. It appears the drive may be bad since other drives seem to work ok in the enclosure.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users