Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Only boots in safe mode.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 empressofanime

empressofanime

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:01 PM

Hello, I've got a new laptop (got it on April 10th) It's a dell, running windows 7 64 bit. A few weeks after I got it, I installed Adobe Acrobat reader and 2 days later, when I tried to bring the computer up, it hung up while starting. I started in safe mode, and after a few unsuccessful attempts at restarting in regular mode, I did a system restore back to before the installation of adobe. This didn't seem to solve the problem, so I restored back to before the most recent windows update. The computer worked fine with no issues until today.

Here's the twist, I had convinced myself that Acrobat couldn't have been the cause, and that I would like to be able to see pdfs again, so I re-downloaded it Sunday night. Today, tried to bring up the webcam (puppy cam for while we're at work) and it wouldn't come up. Rebooted and nothing but safe mode, hangs in start up, just before the login screen again. Before I did another system restore and started over again, I wanted to see if anyone had insights.

I've downloaded nothing other than firefox and acrobat, otherwise everything is just like it was out of the box. Don't know if this is at all related, but I'd also had a problem with windows explorer quitting and having to reboot, but that seems to have gone away. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:29 PM

While in safe mode...

Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Same problem?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users