Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cooling Issue?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rangerbob86

Rangerbob86

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:42 PM

I have a Gateway GT5238E PC, and in order to upgrade the hard drive, the air duct needs to be removed. While I was removing that, it broke as it's just cheap plastic. Will I still be able to use my PC? Or will it overheat? I'm not sure how important that piece was. Here is a picture of it:

Posted Image

Posted Image

It also had a fan in it. Please let me know what you guys think! The computer is off for now just to be sure. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:31 PM

Can you give a little more detail or maybe even a picture of what is broken on that shroud?

I will say this. Without that shroud in place, your computer will overheat as the fan inside is the CPU fan.
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:10 AM

I had a Dell with the same type of CPU Fan setup. I was able to purchase the whole thing, brand new, from Dell, for about $14. :thumbsup:

Not sure what you are pointing to with those red circles? :flowers: They appear to be the screws that hold the fan to the shroud. Dell uses rubber grommet type thingies but the end result is the same.

You can also try ebay if you dare... :trumpet:

DR

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:43 PM

That fan draws air over the proccessor heatsink. Running without it you are risking overheating or possibly even cooking your proccessor.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users