In short, I got hijacked by AVE.exe (fake antivirus program) and Performance Maximizer Profitizeme a couple weeks back and can't seem to permanently shake it with my existing tool kit of AVG Free and Spybot S&D.
• I'm current with all Windows, antivirus, and anti-malware updates.
• My machine configuration (courtesy of CPUZ) is available now in TXT format if needed.
• My AVG Resident Shield Detection List is available now in TXT format if needed.
• When working, IE 8.0 is being redirected to fake-looking search sites.
• IE is frequently disabled. To regain internet connectivity, I have to restore IE's default settings (Tools; Internet Options; Advanced; Reset Internet Explorer settings).
• My AVG taskbar icon has been deleted/de-activated.
• I receive error messages when attempting to install Windows Defender.
• I am finding up to four instances of iexplore.exe running per Windows Task Manager that I did NOT initiate. If I manually End Process, they re-initiate within 15 seconds.
• After installing and running AdAware this morning, I received a BSOD for Memory Management: 0x0000001A (0x00000780 0xC065B558 0x8260F7E0 0x000004C0)
This desktop is my primary PC. Your time and assistance in its liberation is greatly appreciated!
P.S. I'm in the process of backing-up my data and will post requested log files shortly.
Edited by Gene.CPA, 18 May 2010 - 12:29 PM.