Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox acting odd

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Surma

Surma

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:13 AM

This is comp 1 in my signature.

After using firefox for a little while it suddenly goes laggy. I can still interact, but it lags like hell. I cant press x in the corner (no reaction), or that lags to...
I can terminate the application through the task manager and from there it closes down quickly, as it should. The task manager also claims that it uses 50 of the cpu, which it normally doesnt. I barely have any toolbars at all, just java, MS net framework assistant and vacuum places.

Edit: Moved topic from General Chat to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal
---My computer---
Manufacturer:HP Pavilion 061 CPU:Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz (16 x 200) RAM: 1024MB Motherboard:Asus PTGD1-LA Chipset:Intel Grantsdale i915P HDD:Main256GB Ext512GB Video:Radeon X600 Series Internet:DSL 2mb/s OS:Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Firefox+IExplorer AVG Internet Security

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:50 PM

Basic Troubleshooting for Firefox :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:07 PM

Close Firefox. Go Start>All Programs>Mozilla Firefox, click on Mozilla Firefox (safe mode).
Use it for a while this way and see, if same thing happens.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#4 Bassplayer15

Bassplayer15

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:19 AM

Last time i checked if you have AVG Toolbar installed it will cause firefox to have high cpu usage, and also caused mine to "lag" in a way similar to what you described. If you go to Tools>Add-ons>Extensions. You can disable it from there, and it should fix the issue. (If you can't find it in the extensions menu, but you're sure you have it installed, try the plug-in menu.)
Grace is given freely, but respect must be earned.

#5 Surma

Surma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:06 AM

I disabled the plugin and it has not acted odd again. Seems like that solved it.
---My computer---
Manufacturer:HP Pavilion 061 CPU:Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz (16 x 200) RAM: 1024MB Motherboard:Asus PTGD1-LA Chipset:Intel Grantsdale i915P HDD:Main256GB Ext512GB Video:Radeon X600 Series Internet:DSL 2mb/s OS:Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Firefox+IExplorer AVG Internet Security

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:12 PM

Cool...
Thanks for posting back :thumbsup:

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users