Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beeping from motherboard

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 missbrokensmile

missbrokensmile

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:09 AM

Every so often, I get this beeping from the motherboard. I haven't been able to pinpoint when exactly it happens, ie. when I open a particular program, or otherwise, because it doesn't seem to have a pattern (that I've been able to find). But when it does beep, it's only ever one short beep.

I cannot remember exactly when it started, but it was sometime in the past 2 weeks.

BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. R0310Y1, 29/08/2009
Version: 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:44 AM

Hello and Welcome to Bleepingcomputer!

Your description is a little hard to work with because it lacks enough details to help pinpoint a cause.

But I can understand you're trying to figure out a better way of describing it but are left with little details yourself.

So lets try to work through this, so we can come up with a cause, then find a solution.

This beep you speak of, does it happen while you are typing on the keyboard?

Are you doing anything in particular when you hear it?

Does anything seem to act funny right after you hear this beep sound?

I'll be watching for your reply.

Best regards.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:38 PM

Also likely you only hear the beeps when the computer speakers are turned on. If it has no internal speaker this is the only way it can convey the single short post beep which means the computer has successfully pasted the POST test.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 missbrokensmile

missbrokensmile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:18 AM

So far, I've only heard the beep when I was running Firefox, and it was when I opened an onslaught of tabs consecutively (I think I opened at least 10 tabs, one after each other... which I probably shouldn't do). But that's probably not enough to diagnose anything, right? I'll wait a day or so and see if there are any further findings...

Also, in reply to Sneakycyber's post, yes, I can only hear the beep when the speakers are on...

#5 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:37 AM

You hear the beep when your speaker is on, from my opinion is that not worse.
When there were a beep from your computer self, than there was a problem.
You use Firefox, missbrokensmile do you know what I do think.? I think that in Firefox is an option that you can shut off and on the beeping for make a mention when you have too much opened maps.
I will now saying, take my message only for information, wait what the other have to say.
But miss, how longer I think at your information, how more I do think, that I have right.
In Firefox would be possible a menu where you can shut off the beeping.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:54 AM

Yep, just click on tools, options and then the tab button. You can uncheck or allow by checking the options to warn you when opening or closing a lot of tabs.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 missbrokensmile

missbrokensmile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:15 AM

Thank you for the replies. I could do what you have suggested, but I thing I'm worried about is the fact that this beeping has never happened before. I've opened a lot of tabs all at once before, and there was never this beep. Also, I'm not even sure that the beeping is just from me running Firefox (as since I've posted this topic, it's only occurred once, in Firefox). I guess I'll wait a little more and see if any more beeps occur?

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:10 AM

If the beep continues I would suggest you should next open the computer and clean it up as a lot of times beeps indicate overheating.
Please let us know if beeping continues.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:19 AM

Personally, if my computer beeped a single time and there were no other consequences such as the system freezing, reboot, app close unexpectedly, etc..., I wouldn't worry about it. Are there any accompanying error messages? Any chance you had an email program open in the background? When I do, I hear a beep-type noise to indicate new mail has just arrived. It might be possible that one of the sites you opened in your tabs caused the beep for some reason.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users