Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major Annoying

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SFB

SFB

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:07 AM

I have been using a strong but easily remembered password for a few weeks and was posting it to my normal sites as I would access them. Everything was going swimmingly until yesterday. I found a site that required at least eight characters in a password. Mine only has 7. I was able to change to this password on 23 different other sites before this one which by the way is a large nationally known business.

It appears that there isn't any industry standard when it comes to passwords. Neither the length, allowing special characters, or caps mixing is all inclusive when making up a password that will be recognized by every site. That's so annoying!!! :thumbsup:

How hard would it be for the programmers to write line code that would recognize every thing on the keyboard? Helloooo!! Do they have any idea that special characters, as opposed to just a long string of letters, is a better way?

I feel like choking some sense into these people!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:00 PM

8 characters has been best practice since the introduction of 128 bit encryption.

a mixture of upper and lower case letters with 1 number or symbol makes for a good password.

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:35 AM

I usually make sure passwords I have are atleast 10 chars, contain atleaest 1 number, and a symbol. And when it's something a little more important like paypal, I through in a few alt codes.

Either way I would advise against using the same password for multiple sites. As it is yeas to remember, it can also be pretty unsafe if someone gets a hold of one they can get all of them.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 SFB

SFB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:52 PM

I usually make sure passwords I have are atleast 10 chars, contain atleaest 1 number, and a symbol. And when it's something a little more important like paypal, I through in a few alt codes.

Either way I would advise against using the same password for multiple sites. As it is yeas to remember, it can also be pretty unsafe if someone gets a hold of one they can get all of them.

Even if I access a website for product info, I purposely do business mostly the "old fashion" way with companies who can still take my orders over the phone. Therefore, multiple passwords aren't necessary. All I need a password for is typically to get into the site for more information.

Be that as it may, please tell me what is an "alt code." And will I have the same problem with non-standardization for different websites in recognizing it?

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:22 PM

alt code is generally meant to be ascii code characters because they can be input using the 'alt' key.

See the following Code Tables: http://www.4d.com/docs/CMU/CMU10119.HTM

Example: is created holding down the alt key and entering 0167.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:08 PM

Here's a fairly extensive list:
Ultimate Cool Characters

Codes below 0127 will produce the same character using 3 digits, leaving off the first 0, but above 0127 will not.

Some fonts will not show all characters.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:16 AM

alt code = paranoid level security.

lol i am just joking

#8 SFB

SFB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:47 PM

I learned about ascii coding when I took computer programming mucho years ago. I thought that had gone the way of FORTRAN and the like. Guess I need to dig the Sinclair 1000 out of the attic.

I guess there is a reason that one has to use the number pad instead of the top numbers row on the keyboard to get these special characters. When I figure out how I'll ever need it, other than paranoid level security (that's funny), I'll research that.

Appreicate everyones input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users