Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Melodramatic, but genuinely felt!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vesuvia

Vesuvia

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 01 October 2005 - 06:12 PM

Last night my computer started acting buggy. I spent hours this morning trying to figure out what was going on, and managed to salvage my poor Dell Dimension's sanity, thanks to all the helpful tips on this board. Within hours of my posting a plea for help, somebody stepped forward with specific advice and clearly explained instructions for solving the problem.

Went out to coffee a couple of hours back and was reflecting on the last twelve hours. I was a little amazed to discover that I was genuinely intrigued and affected by the whole episode. Not to sound overly sensitive here, but it's unsettling and rather upsetting when you realize that a malicious virus is wreaking havoc on your computer. So much of what I do -- how I express myself, both professionally and personally -- happens via my computer. It mediates a real and very large slice of my life. So a stranger's attack through the dissemination of malware can feel rather personal.

In turn, the people who help you recover from the attack can seem pretty damn heroic. When a stranger assaults a person physically, that person turns to the cops. When a stranger assaults a person virtually, that person turns to forums like this one. A lot of people surf the internet these days, but for most of us, it's largely an undiscovered country. We don't understand the geography of it; we don't know how to navigate it when the beaten path suddenly turns into a malware-infested jungle. Add in the fact that this malware is constantly being disseminated (in my mind, I envision guys wearing dark trench coats and cackling maniacally), and constantly being combatted by folks like you, and what you have is a new form of global warfare. No wonder the stereotypical techie likes Star Wars (or, no wonder Star Wars fans so often turn to IT?)... the internet is a kind of battleground.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is, thanks for helping me survive it. You folks are definitely the good guys. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2005 - 07:44 PM

Thanks! :thumbsup: For your thoughts and kind words. As they are much apprieciated. We all do our best. This is a great place to trouble shoot and learn to get along out in the world of computing. With as few scratches and nicks as possible. Together we can fight the good fight. ;)

All the best,

~ Scarlett
Posted Image

#3 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 02 October 2005 - 06:55 AM

Vesuvia I would just like to thank you for your very uplifting post. Thank you thank you. We enjoy hearing from people about how Bleeping Computer has helped them. We are so very glad to be able to do so. Like you Vesuvia I spend a lot of time on my computer. I feel the same way as you do if my computer gets infected. With BC's help I have managed to get a good handle on how my computer runs and how to keep it clean and running smoothly. It IS a battleground and to be able to help people in any way I can is very rewarding. Post like yours make it all seem worthwhile!

:thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer Vesuvia. :flowers:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 12:06 PM

I like viruses, but thats just me. :thumbsup: There fun to play with.

Thank you for taking the time to start this topic Vesuvia. Kind words like yours make it all worthwhile. :flowers:

Don't be a stranger, ok?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users