Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about updates

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Freet

Freet

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:22 AM

Greetings all,

I was wondering whether I should add "important updates" even if I don't use the program that the updates are meant to fix. For example, I have been using Mozilla Firefox for years and I don't even open IE except when I absolutely have to. Also, I use gmail exclusively for my email.

Should I bother installing Outlook updates since I don't use the program? How about IE?

Thanks for your advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:13 AM

As long, as a given program exist on your your computer, even, if you don't use it, it should be kept up to date.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:23 AM

This especially applies to IE, since it is also a part of your Windows operating system; failure to update IE can make your computer vulnerable to all sorts of security problems.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 pcs365_2

pcs365_2

• Banned
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:18 PM

Hi,
You should always install the updtes to keep upto date your machine and all the application software. Because if you update a program which may be internally using components shared by other programs and when you try run that particular program which is sharing components may confilict or may not run properly.
So it is a good practice to keep upto date your machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users