Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this a suitable replacement HD?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 D808Centaur

D808Centaur

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:58 AM

With the help of a BC Advisor (many thanks!) we have identified that the hard drive in my Dell PC is failing, fast.
I need to buy a replacement, but there is just so much choice available.
The old drive is identified as: WDC WD3200KS-75PFB0 (S/N WD-WCAPD4177405)

First question:
Is this drive a direct replacement? (Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB S300 16MB (Mfr#: WD3200AAKS))

Second and third questions:
For easier backups, could I use a second one of these in an external USB enclosure, and what should I look for when buying one?

BTW - We have been using this drive for about 3 years, and in that time have only half-filled it.
Hence, as we are on a budget, we don't really need to buy a larger drive at this stage.
(Although it would be useful to know the largest/fastest/etc drive we could use with a Dell Dimension E520.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:21 AM

Any good SATA-II(or 3 GBPS) will work fine. So the short answer is yes. If you are sticking with a single drive i would go with a larger drive if you can afford it. 1 TB drives are pretty cheap now so look for something that has a large cache (16MB or 32MB) in SATA trim. The reason being The larger drives are based on the latest and greatest in data density and drive search speeds so not only will you end up with more space it will be faster too! Have fun!
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 D808Centaur

D808Centaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:03 AM

Thank you. A study of the available drives showed that for a fraction more money (about 1.50) I could get a much bigger (500GB) drive with double the cache (32MB), and it is a lower-power version so should be cooler and quieter. To get towards the 1TB range I'd be looking at 20 or 40 more (plus), and I am supposed to be on a budget!

A bit of further research revealed that is was just as cheap, if not cheaper, to buy a ready-made external USB drive as to buy a separate case and drive and assemble them myself. Hence I've also ordered a 1TB external USB drive so I can backup all the computers in the house!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users