Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 and SLI issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 steevz

steevz

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:18 AM

Hey guys,

I am having a bit of a problem here, thanks in advance to everyone who tries to help.

Okay, so I just recently had a 8800 GT crap out on me so I decided to go with two 9800 GT's as a replacement.

My motherboard is an Asus P5N-D. I only had a 450W OCZ power supply and I don't think it was quite powerful enough for the two cards because my monitors would just stop getting a signal.

So I put a 750W PSU in my computer and after this Windows would boot into the Login screen. It appeared that Windows was loading and the screen would go black right before the login screen pops up, but the screen stays back and the login screen never appears. So I booted into safe mode no problem. Removed my drivers. Took out one card, then booted up, no problem. Installed the Nvidia drivers, shut down, put in the second 9800 GT, added the bridge, then booted back up. Logged in and windows recognized the other card and asked me to reboot again. This is when windows stops booting, hanging on a black screen before the login. Only way to get past it is to take out one card, or else to login to safe mode and uninstall the drivers and undergo the same process that gets me a hang before login.

I have also updated my motherboard drivers and have the latest drivers from Nvidia.

Thanks again in advance for any help.

Edited by steevz, 18 May 2010 - 12:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:25 AM

You really need to pay close attention to the AMPS not the WATTS when you are determining if your PSU can handle two cards.

Have you checked your BIOS to make sure you have your video cards configured properly?

Edited by MrBruce1959, 18 May 2010 - 01:25 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 steevz

steevz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:55 AM

Well I'm using a Cosair 750W PSU with 60A on the 12V. Also, in my BIOS I can not find anything to do with video card except using PCI or PCI-E for primary VGA adapter.

Edited by steevz, 18 May 2010 - 02:28 AM.

#4 steevz

steevz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:34 AM

Just an update, I tried using Driver Sweeper in safe mode to remove all NVIDIA files after doing a full uninstall of all NVIDIA stuff the normal way. This resulted in my computer getting a BSOD trying to boot and even in safe mode with STOP: 0x7B.

So I backup all everything I needed with ERD Commander and proceeded to re-install Windows 7. After a clean installation of windows I shut down. Put in the other card, bridge, and reconnected all the cables and I'm right back to my first problem. Which is hanging on a black screen right before the login screen appears. I'm so stuck. Someone please point in the right direction.

Thanks.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:23 PM

You do know that Asus has a multiplier on its web site to determine PSU output versus hardware usage.

Try this Asus link. http://support.asus.com/PowerSupplyCalcula...SLanguage=en-us

You can use this to see if you are exceeding your PSU's Amp. limits.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 steevz

steevz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:36 PM

I think one of the cards has crapped out. When I just use the card I was trying to use in the second slot I get weird lines on the screen during post and on my other monitor everything that is suppose to be white is a pinkish color. Also, drivers would install when only that card was in the mobo. Everytime I insert that card into the mobo I can't login to windows or else I freeze on the welcome screen if i do get in. The couple times it worked, my computer locked up when enabling sli.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:15 PM

Do you have another motherboard handy which uses SLI that you could test the card on?

Please check this link here about video artifacts http://www.playtool.com/pages/artifacts/artifacts.html

Also you might want to check out this entire site, it has a lot of information, this site was brought to my attention by another BC Advisor, so I am sharing it with you.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 18 May 2010 - 05:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users