Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer won't boot and I need help!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 word54

word54

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:47 PM

So this is my first build and I was messing around with the BIOS settings. I don't know exactly what I did, but I do remember one of the options saying that the process would take about 30 seconds. 20 minutes later, the monitor was still blank. I did a hard restart and the screen was still blank 20 minutes later. The BIOS screen doesn't even show up... what should I do? Is there some way to get to Windows or some way that I can put my BIOS settings back to default?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Yateesh

Yateesh

• Banned
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:41 AM

:huh: U mean the POST not the BIOS, If your not getting to the BIOS anymore, then there should be something going on with the POST (power on self test), which happens initially when you star your computer.

Lets work together, See if this could help and please check.

check your display device settings and refer the manual if required.

do you hear a short beep when u switch your pc on?
maybe your monitor isnt able to show the POST, happens on the large screen LCD's when there is a resolution conflict. if you hear a long cont. beep then your RAM is faulty or loose.
checked the power supply ?
if no beep at all the retrace your wiring and double check it.

the video card could need an external power cord. check that.

double check the power chords running from the smps to the mobo. if you have made a wiring error or a short then sometimes the mobo doesnt power on to prevent damage or mayb it has already been damaged !

check the jumper settings and refer the instructional manual.

hope you had grounded yourself properly while wiring. static from your body can kill the chips it comes in contact with. keep your fingers crossed on that.

the fans work properly cause they are directly powered by the smps ofcourse unless you mean the fans that are connected to the mobo (eg.varying speed).
SMPS should be atleast 400W of true power.

INFO needed..
you need to tell which video card you used , which display device you are using and your SMPS wattage and company.

also if you hear any beeps on power up.. long/short or any other pattern.

Edited by Yateesh, 18 May 2010 - 12:43 AM.

#3 word54

word54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:08 AM

There are no beeps on power up. I'm using a ATI FireGL V3350 PCIE 256 MB with a Panasonic 26" LCD LC2600N TV as a monitor. My SMPS is an Antec 400w

On another forum, someone suggested that I remove the CMOS battery, which I just did. I'm waiting a few minutes so that there is no charge. If that doesn't work, someone else suggested that I do a hard reset by shifting the jumpers:

http://www.diy-computer-repairs.com/reset-bios/

#4 word54

word54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:48 AM

removing the cmos battery did the trick! thanks for everyone's help!

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:08 PM

Thanks for letting us know your problem is resolved. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web