Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this Computer Any Good?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Drift_91

Drift_91

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:14 PM

Hey, I'm thinking of trying to convince my mom to buy me this computer: Canada Computers Visionary I5070A

I need to know if it's going to meet my needs, I hate it when we buy a computer and several months later I find out I need something better.

I'm going to be using it for some mild gamming, the most demanding games I'm going to be playing are X-Plane 9 and possibly Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter. I'll also use it for web browsing, etc... but I don't really need specific performance for those tasks, I have a 1.5TB SATA-II that I can install in it and I'll most likely transfer my dialup modem over.

Will this machine keep up with mid-end graphics requirements for the next few years? I don't want to buy this thing then have to replace it in a year or two, I don't mind having to install a few upgrade cards over the next 3 to 5 years, but as long as the costs are low and spread out.

Thanks in advance guys,
Drift_91

Edited by Drift_91, 17 May 2010 - 10:16 PM.

"There are about 60,000 viruses known for Windows, 40 or so for the Macintosh, about 5 for commercial Unix versions, and perhaps 40 for Linux." - This Article

"In March, 2010, VirusTotal.com, a service that analyzes suspicious files, identified more than 70,000 infected files that went undetected by one or more anti-virus engines—a more than 30% increase from last year. The sheer number of new, undetected files highlights the major threat facing Internet users today: non-detection by traditional PC security software." - This Article

The International Malware Epidemic, coming soon to a PC near you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:28 PM

it has an ati chipset with onboard graphics
although they have come leaps and bounds with onboard graphics, windows 7 is very graphically intensive.
instead of keeping with the 2 gb of ram that comes standard i would look at putting in a separate video card or more memory.
but it is a $300 system so you get what you pay for.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:07 PM

It sure is lacking in the specifications department.

No info on the motherboard.
Is it ATX, micro-ATX, how many expansion slots, and what type, how many internal SATA ports, how many external USB ports, how much RAM does it support, etc.?
No info on the video, other than it's ATI.
Is it onboard (probably) or dedicated, if onboard what chipset, if dedicated what model, etc?
No info on the RAM.
What make?
What speed?
No info on the power supply, other than it's a 500W.
What's the make and model, how many 12V rails, how many Amps per rail, how many of what types of cables for future expansion, etc.?

If you're considering future upgrades, you need to know what you have to work with.

Before I would lay down the money for that system, I would need a lot more information.
Just my 2¢
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:59 PM

Processor AMD Athlon X2 245, 2.9Ghz 2MB Cache
Motherboard ATI Chipset
Memory 2GB DDR2 800Mhz
Graphics ATI Radeon Graphics
Hard Drive 320GB SATA 3.0Gb/s
Optical Drive DVD�R/RW Drive
Sound Card Onboard Audio
Chassis Mid ToweATX with 500w Power Supply
I/O Ports USB 2.0
Operating System Recommends Windows 7 Home Premiu

As suggested earlier, adding more memory and a discrete graphics card, could make a lot of difference.

If you're considering future upgrades, you need to know what you have to work with.

I second that!
Try getting a detailed list of specifications for the PC.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 18 May 2010 - 09:01 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 Drift_91

Drift_91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:42 PM

I agree with you guys that the specs are rather limited, I'll try to contact them and get more information, however the last two times I e-mailed them I got no reply. In my next e-mail I'm going to be threattening to take my business elsewhere if I don't get a reply, which I will do since they ripped me off a few weeks ago by selling me an overheating hard drive.

Meuchel, I'm definately not going to be using Win 7, the computers at my local Adult-Ed use it and I have to say the GUI layout is horrible, I can't even find the "file" menu! Also the 2Gs of RAM should be fine for me for now, maybe in a couple of years I'll need to upgrade, but I will upgrade the graphics if the onboard doesn't include a GPU.

If the mobo is another MSI I definately ain't touching it! And I'm going to make sure I have a good look inside the case to make sure it isn't poorly designed like the last one I bought from them, half the reason I have an overheating HDD is because I can't install a case fan in their crappy case.

#6 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:34 AM

msi makes some decent boards but to each his own.
i just thought windows 7 as that was the recommended install for this system.
i didn't even notice it doesn't come with it.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:15 PM

I think I'd be looking for better vendors...and doing some comparisons...rather than have a system/vendor already pegged.

Louis

#8 Drift_91

Drift_91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:28 PM

I'm rather limited in my area when it comes to vendors, and Canada Computers is a wholesaler, plus their smack in the middle of an area loaded with college and uni students so thier prices are pretty good. But if they rip me off once more I will be paying higher prices for better sevice.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:57 PM

Well...the geographical importance of vendor locations...has been eliminated as a consideration...since the public has come to use the Internet.

There have to be a number of vendors online...who ship to Canada and offer more than your current choice seems to offer.

Louis

#10 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:17 PM

Canada is a pretty big place eh.
and i am close enough to joke about it cause i got the accent from the movie fargo too dontcha know. LOL

#11 Drift_91

Drift_91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:25 PM

This is the E-mail I just sent to them requesting more information, I belive the middle paragraph may be a tad bit of incentive to reply with some comprehensive information. :blink:

Hi, I'm looking into buying this computer: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_inf...;item_id=030699

I need to know more about the rig as the specs on all the Ready-to-Go PCs are extremely vague and don't even specify what model of ATI chipset is on the mobo on this machine. I need to know the make and model of the motherboard, what chipset is in use by the onboard ATI graphics and if there's an onboard GPU, what brand the RAM is, the make and model of the HDD and make and model of the onboard audio controller. I would appreciate a picture of the inside of the case as my last computer I bought at your store has no place for me to install a case fan for an overheating hard drive that I also purchased at your store and installing and removing expansion cards is extremely difficult because of the way they are fastened to the chassis.

I hope to receive a reply to this as I have not received replies to my last two e-mails concerning problems with defective products I purchased at your store. If I do not receive a reply to this I will have to take my business elsewhere as I can not purchase a computer without knowing every detail about the make, model, performance and compatibility of all the hardware.

And although this may be a burden I strongly suggest rewriting the specs on your website to be more comprehensive.

Thank you for your time,
Kyle J. McKeown

#12 Drift_91

Drift_91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:33 PM

Well my mother (who's paying for the machine) refuses to buy ANYTHING online, and also she won't drive anywhere for just one thing, If I'm going to chose the retailer it better be on the way somewhere she's already headed in the first place. So Canada Computers, Perth PC and one other computer shop in Kingston are my only options.

And Meuchel, Canada may be the largest country "geographicaly", but I'd have to say the average population density is something like 0.5 persons per 10 square KM.

#13 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:50 PM

sounds much like the state i live in...
and your mother sounds much like some of the people i know.
hopefully you get a decent response from the letter you approached them with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users