Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Error Occured in Compaq Presario 2500

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 akonni

akonni

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:07 PM

I have an old laptop, Compaq Presario 2500 with Pentium IV.

It won't boot my OS and it says on a black screen:

"A disk error occured"
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

At the same, i can hear a ticking sound from its hard drive. I wanted to know if I can still recover my data. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:21 PM

Slim chance. likely the hard drive is bad, your best bet would be to slave the drive to another computer and get whatever you can off the drive, if its already "ticking" (AKA the tick of death) that's the read/write head slamming into the platters in the hard drive its only a matter of time before it dies completely. If the HDD is not ticking and its something else in the computer like a wire touching a fan (it could happen) then I would download the manufacture of the hard drive's diagnostic software and run the long test and see what is has to say.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users