Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the most important part of the universe?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:58 PM

What do you think is the most important part of the universe?
I think the most important part of the universe is the consciousness that observes it (humans, and other living things)
Before you say it.... I did think of this before I read Dan Brown.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,698 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:03 PM

:thumbsup: I'm just kidding you :flowers:
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:51 PM

aboZctrHfK8

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:51 PM

I did like the witty responses guys, honestly I chuckled at both. But I'm looking for a serious answer: do you think the universe is worth anything without consciousness? :thumbsup:
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#5 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:57 AM

Something to really think about?

http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/interstellar.html

Why can we not translate what is being sent back now?

Maybe we are just little Fish in a Huge Ocean, so to speak?

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#6 duckne55

duckne55

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:50 AM

Without consciousness, there can be no observation. Without observation, there can be no deduction that there is a universe. Without knowing that there is a universe, there can be no deduction of where is the most important place in the universe. Hence, your 2nd question is meaningless.
To answer your 1st one, you need to actually define the question as where or when (space-time etc etc), I would answer it as the proto-galaxies that were formed billions of years ago.

#7 thicool

thicool

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:49 PM

without thinking really deeply into this question like some... the most impartant part of the universe is the planet Earth, without the planet earth, there wouldnt be anyone to even ask this question. ( that we currently know of)

#8 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:07 PM

:thumbsup: Yeah sorry I kinda made an answer you couldn't refute so, perhaps we can change subject slightly :)1

#9 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:15 AM

Your question is based on human thought so the answer must be human consciousness.
Not to get too Sci-Fi but races of beings that have attained self awareness tens of thousands of years longer may ask the same question in a way we could not comprehend.
Providing that they have not annihilated themselves along the way.
Humans are amazed at a savants ability with music, math, or any number of very specific mental tasks. What of a race that had this ability as the norm? What thoughts would they have on the most important thing in the universe?
Not to get off topic but I have a hard time when I think about the “Big Bang Theory” I know all the great thinkers have equations and theories supporting this and I don’t necessarily dispute what they propose. In our world as it exists we can not ( or only slightly) compress a liquid or solid. In the “Big Bang Theory” we need to accept that everything in the universe was scrunched down to the size of an atom. Just can’t get my mind around this. Don’t read this as a back door “Creationist” argument. That has more questions then answers also.
Regards
Nawtheasta

#10 duckne55

duckne55

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:39 AM

Observations point to the existence of the big bang. You don't need to believe in facts for the facts to be true dearie.

#11 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:14 AM

Wiser men then I say it is so. So who am I to argue?. Although I wish someone would theorize as to the origin of the force necessary to compress the billions of galaxies down to the point of an atom. Or, if the beginning point was created from whole cloth and expanded to what we observe, how did this beginning point come to be?
Regards
Nawtheasta

#12 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:36 PM

Why does it matter what the important part of the universe is? 42 works for me. How would knowing this answer change your life.. you still have to go to work, live your life.. it wouldn't change anything. At least I don't think so. What would you do with this knowledge and how could you utilize it? I cannot take the question seriously to be honest.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:40 PM

The most important part of the universe, at least to me, is the little patch of real estate I call mine.
It's where I spend time with my family. It's where I see my 2 year old grand-daughter discover the world around her, where I see her smile and listen to her laugh and watch her do new things everyday.
It's where I feel comfortable and content.

#14 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:16 PM

the inside of our brains. http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/4WmmvD/www.m...TC-0D6B48984890

#15 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:27 AM

*What do you think is the most important part of the universe?*

The 'magic' that each and every one of us believes in. No matter how you define it, that holds it all together. Regardless of how much we humans try and destroy it and our little parcel within it.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users