Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HD Crashed, How to find files you've hidden on old OS drive when old OS drive is now slave?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bretmj1

bretmj1

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:56 PM

Hey guys,

Recently my windows xp OS hard drive crashed on me. In desperation I installed a new HD with windows XP making my crashed drive the slave {So I can still salvage my files}. So far so good, until I tried to get into a few folders of mine that I had protected by Everstrike's Universal Shield 4.1. When I try to view these folders, I get access denied. I've tried logging in as administrator, safe mode, going through the registry to try and manual uninstall, re-downloading, installing and uninstalling Universal Shield- all to no avail. The uninstall freezes up on me every time.

What I believe is happening, is that Universal shield must still be installed on my slave drive, still protecting those folders that I had it lock.

How can I get rid of Universal shield on my slave drive, giving me access to the folders I need to back up? Any ideas?

Thanks a lot, hope we can get this figured out.

Edited by bretmj1, 17 May 2010 - 07:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bretmj1

bretmj1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:09 PM

If I can't figure this out, i'm going to lose about 5 years worth of pictures and documents I've wanted to save. Anyone have any thing to help?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:20 PM

Well...you've encrypted the files/folders with your app...it seems logical to try installing same app and using it to access files from new install.

Louis

#4 bretmj1

bretmj1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:24 PM

Louis,

Thanks for the input. Though, as I wrote above, I have already tried that. I re-downloaded the same application, protected the files, unprotected the files, and it still did not work. Any other ideas?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:56 PM

Users typically get an "access denied" message...when trying to access files in Documents & Settings from a different hard drive/system.

The typical cure for that is to Take Ownership of a File or a Folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421.

Unless I'm misinterpreting...your situation doesn't fill the bill for that...it doesn't consider encrypted files.

Louis

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:22 AM

Try this:

You could boot into bios, and set the system to boot from the slave drive. If it does boot up, access the files, and move them to the new drive. Double-check to make sure EVERYTHING is moved, reboot, enter bios, change the boot drive back to your new C drive.

After you've done all that, if it worked, and if the drive is by some chance still usable, get rid of everything on it, and use it as storage.

#7 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:59 AM

Another option is to boot using a LIVE LINUX disc, then move your files onto the preferred drive. Here's a link to puppy linux http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distri....0/lupu-500.iso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users