Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 2000 Professional

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 firefly52

firefly52

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:32 PM

emachines T1801
Microsoft Windows Me Preinstalled
800MHz Intel Celeron Processor
128 MB SyncDRAM
CD-ROM 48x Max. CD Drive
20 GB Hard Drive Ultra DMA / 66
3D AGP Graphics Intel Direct AGP
56K* Data / Fax Modem ITU V.90
* Maximum data transfer rates may vary and are limited to 53 kbps

This computer is approx 10 years old I think... I installed Windows 2000 Professional and an ethernet card to enable it to work with Linksys router and wireless internet.

I just hooked it back up to use after my Windows Vista went south.

AVG Free ceased to work and notified me that my PC is not protected:
"only works with windows 2000/XP/Vista"
I have 2000 on it, so that doesn't make any sense.

It was working just fine before.

I was informed recently by employees at Best Buy that Kaspersky is the best antivirus software now.

I tried to download Kaspersky free 30 day trial from www.Kaspersky.com/trials/home-users/internet-security.com Free 30 day trial Kaspersky Internet Security 2010

I got this message:

"The service pack is not installed. Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Rollup 1 or higher required."

When I tried to get the service pack, I was confronted with:

suupport.microsoft.com/gp/noscript "Scripting is not enabled in your browser"

I followed directions to enable scripting but it didn't work.

"This website uses scripting to enhance your browsing experience. Scripting is not enabled in your browser, or your browser does not support scripting."

I was unable to enable scripting, so apparently, the browser (Microsoft Internet Explorer) doesnt not support scripting.

Looked for a site that doesn't need scripting so I can get Kaspersky Internet Antivirus protection

and found:

softwarepatch.com/windows/win2000 - rollup.html Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Rollup package

"tip: Click here to run a free scan for Windows 2000 errors before installing this update."

I cancelled that because it was downloading something from an unprotected site - NOT scanning.

Downloaded Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Rollup package and Installed it successfully and rebooted.

Installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 Free 30 day trial

After hours of downloading and installing and rebooting, I get this message:

"Warning! Official technical support will not be provided for this product if it is installed on Microsoft Windows 2000. By continuing the installation you accept these conditions. Do you wish to continue product installation?"

OK (Yes)

then....

"Insufficient memory.
The application requires at least 256 MB of RAM to run under Microsoft Windows 2000/Windows XP/64 Edition."

Installation Interrupted

"Installation ended prematurely because of an error."

Control Panel > System > General Tab: 129,520 KB RAM is all this computer has on it.

So.... I go back to get AVG Free again which I have used for years on this computer with no problem and run into this:

download.cnet.com

AVG Antivirus 9.0 FREE

"Problem with setup! The AVG Download Manager has encountered a problem. Click RETRY button to start the download process again, or CANCEL to quit. If you continue to see this message, please consult the product help for further information."

Tried again.... it won't work.

This computer is online... I am usining it to post here, but it has NO antivirus or virus protection of any kind. It is currently UNPROTECTED. Is there ANYTHING out there that will work on this computer???

Any help will be much appreciated! Thank you!!

Edited by Budapest, 17 May 2010 - 07:02 PM.
Moved from Vista ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:31 PM

I am not sure what service pack you are updated to exactly, but I believe you are saying you updated Windows ME to Windows 2000. to which service pack I am not sure.

I am not sure if this will work, but it is worth a try and its offered for free from Microsoft, if this fails for some reason please post back and let me know.

This program uses mininum resources, so memory shouldn't be an issue.

http://www.microsoft.com/SECURITY_ESSENTIALS/
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:45 PM

Microsoft Security Essentials requires at least Windows XP SP2.
For Windows 2000, you can use avast! 5.0
avast! can be installed on Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7. It needs at least 128MB RAM and Pentium 3.

#4 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:47 PM

Hello firefly52,

With only 128 MB of Ram, I seriously doubt you will get any modern real-time AV to run properly, as your browser and operating system will use most, if not all, of the available Ram you have.

Here's what I would do;

Install Sandboxie.

Running your Web browser under the protection of Sandboxie means that all malicious software downloaded by the browser is trapped in the sandbox and can be discarded trivially.

This will protect you from nasties when surfing.
Important: Windows 2000: You may need to install GDIPLUS.DLL if you don't already have it.

-------------------------------------------

Any files you download can be uploaded to Virustotal to be checked for Malware.

Install the free versions of both SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

These can be run On-demand to check your system for Malware whenever you feel the need.

You could also run an online AV scan once a week. Two good ones are ESET Online Scanner and F-Secure Online Scanner.

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:03 PM

With only 128 MB of Ram, I seriously doubt you will get any modern real-time AV to run properly, as your browser and operating system will use most, if not all, of the available Ram you have.

For Windows 2000, 128 MB is good enough RAM. Then again, how much RAM is enough depends on the person using the computer and applications he/she wants to use. avast! 5.0 system requirements state at least 128 MB Ram and P3 processor (600MHz to 1GHz). If it makes system slower, the user can turn off the eye candy and choose only file access scan when installing.

#6 firefly52

firefly52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:18 AM

I want to thank all of you for your helpful and valuable advice!! I successfully downloaded and installed Avast and it is working properly. It is getting updates, too. Thank you all again :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users