Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why does Norton security get a bad name?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stinkfist

stinkfist

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:12 PM

Hello,

I just got a new PC and it has Norton full security installed. It ends in about 20 days. I don't mine paying $100 or more for the best security out there. Why is Norton bad? Seams like I read alot about how to stay away from Norton. It has been good for me so far. I do alot of surfing and some of the places have had isues with but Norton was able to dectect the bad stuff so far. I have read alot about this Eset, Avira and others. What should I get it is 64 bit. Below is the PC I have with W7.

Intel Core i7 985 extreme 3.33Mhz
Asus Rampage III Extreme Motherboard
V10 Cooler Master CPU Cooler
Triple Channel 6GB High Performance Ram Corsair Dominator GT with DHX DDR3 2000
3 x XFX 5970 2GB DDR5 Black Edition
8TB Western Digital Black Caviar Harddisk
Pioneer BluRay Rewriter
Razer Barracuda AC-1 Gaming Sound Card
Razer Lachesis Banshee Blue Light DPI:4000 Laser
Razer Lycosa Mirror Gaming KB Blue Mirror Surface
Creative Gigaworks G550 wireless 5.1
DLINK Modem
Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1250W ( SLI Ready)
KOSS C-220 (2200VA) Line Interactive *RS232 *RJ45
Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:54 PM

Symantec's Norton Internet Security 2010 is quite good. Although, I wouldn't say the same about Norton 360.

Among the other options you have mentioned, I personally use ESET's Smart Security 4 on both my systems.
It has served me well and continues to do so.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 17 May 2010 - 04:55 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:07 PM

A lot of the bad press that Norton receives comes from people who haven't used it in years, or even not at all. While Norton was considered some years back to be heavy on resources, all this changed with the release of a totally revamped product in 2009. Nowadays Norton products run much lighter with greatly improved detection rates and even won AV-Comparatives product of the year 2009.

My advice, if it works well for you, then stick with it.

#4 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:22 PM

Hi stinkfist ,
There's a few reason's that Norton's got a bad name, about 4-5 years ago Norton released an horrific Antivirus product! It was buggy and bloated as hell, bringing many a computer (mine included) to juddering halt! It crashed many a computer, and then when you tried to get help to sort out the problem Norton created, the support was almost non existent unless you were willing to pay lots of money! I fortunately just gave up with it, but more than a few people paid for the support and when Norton couldn't fix it(even though paid, and they created the problem in the first place!) Norton basically said 'tough titty' 'can't fix it' 'thanks for the money' 'bye!'
And then to rub insult into injury, having paid for a terrible product and been ripped off by support, a lot of people didn't want anything to do with Norton ever again! Norton then proceded (even after being informed such) to carry on debiting their accounts!
I think they also got taken to court. They offered discounts on there products, but you had to send them the purchase reciept to get the money back. When you sent the reciept back they just lied saying that they never recieved the reciept (for tens of thousands of people!).

So there you are stinkfist, whilst norton is admitedly a better product now, why would i pay $100 for something which isn't actually any better than freeware? and to a company that has treated its customers so badly? .If you were my close friend i wouldn't actually let you buy it! but it's up to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users