Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome, IE8, Safari unable to connect, but Firefox can.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CheekyCactus

CheekyCactus

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:57 PM

I am running XP Home SP3 on an HP Mini. IE8, Google Chrome, and Safari all display the "webpage not available" error when trying to browse the internet. The interesting thing is that Firefox is able to connect to and display websites, the wireless network is strong and connected, and all other computers connected to the network exhibit no connetivity problems.

I believe the problem may have something to do with the Mini's recent infection with Antivirus Soft. AntiVirus Soft is a fake anti-virus program scam that blocks all executables from running, displays bogus warnings and popups, and only allows IE to navigate to Antivirus Soft's scam website.

Yesterday I followed some step by step directions to manually remove AntiVirus Soft's processes, directories, files and registry entries. Upon restart, Antivirus Soft appears to be gone, however I am now strangely limited to Firefox only browsing.

Any ideas how to reestablish full browser capabilities?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 snova

snova

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:09 PM

I seem to be experiencing the same problem as the OP! It is quite peculiar indeed being able to only access Firefox...

Anyone who might be able to solve this weirdness??

Thank you :thumbsup:
The embarrassing truth must be stated: I am somewhat computer illiterate - but I'm diligently trying to change that!

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:29 PM

Since you said you had originally had an infection:

I suggest that you Please post a Posted Image in the Am I infected? What do I do? sub-forum with a description of your problem, the steps taken so far, and a link back to this topic (they will want to know why you suspect malware).

The reason being you may have not removed all of the infection. :thumbsup:

Please note: the Malware Response team are always overwhelmed, and it could take a few days to get your first reply. Just be patient and don't "bump" your topic by replying to it.

If you still have problems after being declared clean, they'll send you back here.

Good luck. :flowers:

Edited by computerxpds, 18 May 2010 - 03:29 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 CheekyCactus

CheekyCactus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:16 PM

Hm, perhaps I posted prematurely. Here is the fix I found after some further digging: Step Four on this page. Worked for me.

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:36 AM

So tha worked and fixed it right?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users