Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New install of windows 7 ultimate

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 doncota25

doncota25

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:55 PM

I want to install windows 7 ultimate on two of my home computers. One laptop and one desktop. I beleive they are both running windows xp home right now. They are both extremely slow and since I have windows 7 ultimate I would like to back up my files (there are not a lot) and start over. Is this a difficult process? And can you offer any directions or advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:15 PM

I want to install windows 7 ultimate on two of my home computers. One laptop and one desktop. I beleive they are both running windows xp home right now. They are both extremely slow and since I have windows 7 ultimate I would like to back up my files (there are not a lot) and start over. Is this a difficult process? And can you offer any directions or advice?

Are you asking is it okay to install the same license on two different machines?

Windows activation won't allow it, it is considered as pirating software.

Correct me if I misunderstood your question.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 doncota25

doncota25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:19 PM

No I purchased the software or I'm just not sure of the procedure. I mainly bought it for my laptop which runs very slow and I just thought I could give it a fresh start but am not sure of exactly where to start. I want to completely remove xp and start from scratch.

#4 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:31 PM

You have product key inside the box it will have two user or 3user on it if you can use it on more than one computer, else have a one user licence that can only be installed on one computer legally and be activated.

You will need at least 1GB of ram for 32-bit install and 2GB for 64-bit install.

You will need to clean install windows 7 from xp. But before doing that download the windows 7 upgrade advisor and run it download any drivers for your hardware and updates for programs that you are wishing to use with windows 7 and are not compatable at present and copy them to a cd/dvd.

I use acronis true image 2010 for backup you can download a 30 day trial from their site backup all your data music, video etc onto an external hard drive or cd/dvd.

The latest drivers for your hardware and updates for programs that came preinstalled can be found on manufacturers website best to check there first to make sure the manufacturer supports windows 7 for your model you are intending to upgrade.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users