Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random restarts

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:36 PM

138 degrees fahrenheit for a processor is rather hot and destructive to say the least and seeing that HWMonitor is only showing ONE fan tells me you do not have much air-flow inside this computer either.

I recommend adding some more cooling fans to this computer case ASAP.

I have not re-read this entire thread to see if it was already mentioned, but I also recommend your removing the heat sink off of the processor and cleaning off any dried thermal paste, if there is any, and remove any rubber looking mats off the the heat sink bottom if they exist, then add a bead of new paste to the processor core's head, this compound helps transfer heat from the processor core to the heat sink and into the air, where it belongs, so it can be exhausted out-side of the computer case.

Make sure if you remove the heat sink you re-install it exactly like it was before you removed it.

You need to bring that 138 degree fahrenheit temperature down to at least 100 degrees or below, aiming for 70 to 80 fahrenheit degree mark if you can.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 29 May 2010 - 11:07 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 teStud0

teStud0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:23 AM

138 degrees for a processor is rather hot and destructive to say the least and seeing that HWMonitor is only showing ONE fan tells me you do not have much air-flow inside this computer either.

I recommend adding some more cooling fans to this computer case ASAP.

I have not re-read this entire thread to see if it was already mentioned, but I also recommend your removing the heat sink off of the processor and cleaning off any dried thermal paste, if there is any, and remove any rubber looking mats off the the heat sink bottom if they exist, then add a bead of new paste to the processor core's head, this compound helps transfer heat from the processor core to the heat sink and into the air, where it belongs, so it can be exhausted out-side of the computer case.

Make sure if you remove the heat sink you re-install it exactly like it was before you removed it.

You need to bring that 138 degree temperature down to at least 100 degrees or below, aiming for 70 to 80 degree mark if you can.

Yep I already did that around yesterday.

I successfully reduced the CPU temp from 55-76C to 45-66C (I've read around that the normal temp for Prescott CPU's are 50-68C).

It's still restarting though.

Tried using the on board GPU again and still I'm getting restarts. The only thing that's relatively similar is when the PC is fully rested it takes a couple of hours before the restarts began. Everything else is too random.

Edited by teStud0, 29 May 2010 - 06:24 AM.

#33 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:44 AM

I see you are referring to the Celsius measuring system, so I re-edited my original post above to include that I was referring to Fahrenheit not Celsius in those temperature ranges I gave you, that was a slight over sight on my end, but it does make it confusing the way I worded it originally as to if it was Fahrenheit or Celsius. Sorry about that. :thumbsup:

I see you said the PC seems to run fine if it has rested for a bit before you start it up.

Are you saying your just shutting the PC down and during this time the PSU is still receiving power input during this resting period, or is the power also cut off to the PSU during this resting period, like through a power strip?

I re-read this thread, to see if you have mentioned running the computer in safe mode for a bit when the restarts start happening on a regular basis, but I do not see that mentioned, so I want you to try that for a bit.

If your computer does not restart during this time period, I will instruct you to use selective startup during the Windows boot-up and during this time you will be given choices on the screen as to what to skip, Windows will list each component and ask if you want to skip this feature with a yes or no. This may seem annoying to you but this feature was built into windows for troubleshooting purposes and helps isolate a problem. I want to add that this is not the same as msconfig, this feature is accessed through pressing the F8 at the windows splash screen during boot-up. The action you would select would be selective start-up.

Please let me know if you would like to try this feature as it can isolate what the problem is.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users