Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random restarts

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 teStud0

teStud0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:40 PM

Sorry for the double post but the problem still exists. :thumbsup:

Recap of what I did
-Checked the temps (BIOS and Speedfan), no problems there.
-Cheked the HDD, one drive had 0% fitness and 95% performance (from S.M.A.R.T test), disabled such drive (removed its power cable).
-Replaced the power supply.
-Installed Bluescreenviewer, minidumps are inconclusive since most of the errors where Windows XP related.
-Installed memtest (the OS based one), found 2 errors atm.
-Disabled on board sound card and LAN card seperately.
-Reformatted both drives.
-Used memtest86, after 3 scans zero errors.
-Changed GPU (Radeon X1650 Series 512MB to my ye old Geforce FX5200).

--My conclusion is my Mobo is faulty. Anyone have better ideas?

Edited by teStud0, 23 May 2010 - 03:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:05 PM

Have you check your motherboard vendor web site to see if there are any updated chipset drivers available?

Also check if there is an BIOS firmware update for your BIOS ROM.

Most motherboard support sites list what fixes the new firmware corrects.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#18 teStud0

teStud0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:20 PM

Have you check your motherboard vendor web site to see if there are any updated chipset drivers available?

Also check if there is an BIOS firmware update for your BIOS ROM.

Most motherboard support sites list what fixes the new firmware corrects.

MSI uses a Live Update program for drivers so that's not it (also search on the website and it says use the live update tool).

#19 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:48 PM

OK so you are still dealing with random restarts.

To help us diagnose what is going on here, are you doing anything specific when the restarts happen, or do they randomly happen?

Is an error displaying saying something like "Windows is shutting down to prevent damage to your computer"?

Is your Video processor getting enough air flow.

Have you ever entered the BIOS utility and tried looking for the option to load best configuration or load defaults, this might correct a BIOS setting that is incorrectly set, casing either the processor or RAM timing/voltage issue. This setting is usually displayed at the bottom of the BIOS screen, one setting might be listed as the F5 key. Make sure you use the F10 key which is commenly used as the default SAVE AND EXIT shortcut.

If your BIOS settings are not the issue here, you may have a faulty motherboard or piece of hardware. Or you did not make a required jumper setting change on the motherboard when you updated your processor to to one with a faster oscillater.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 23 May 2010 - 11:51 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#20 teStud0

teStud0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:40 AM

To help us diagnose what is going on here, are you doing anything specific when the restarts happen, or do they randomly happen?

From playing games/using firefox/viewing BIOS. Too random. Although I did 3 memtests and it didn't restart there.

Is an error displaying saying something like "Windows is shutting down to prevent damage to your computer"?

None. It's like just pressing the restart button.

Is your Video processor getting enough air flow.

Yup. My PC has no PCI cards and it's open due to the hot climate were having here (highest temp in Speedfan is about 50C).

Have you ever entered the BIOS utility and tried looking for the option to load best configuration or load defaults, this might correct a BIOS setting that is incorrectly set, casing either the processor or RAM timing/voltage issue. This setting is usually displayed at the bottom of the BIOS screen, one setting might be listed as the F5 key. Make sure you use the F10 key which is commenly used as the default SAVE AND EXIT shortcut.

Tried that already.

If your BIOS settings are not the issue here, you may have a faulty motherboard or piece of hardware. Or you did not make a required jumper setting change on the motherboard when you updated your processor to to one with a faster oscillater.

Could you be specific? Bcoz my Mobo can handle all P4 processors. Also the problem started before I changed my Processor.

Edited by teStud0, 24 May 2010 - 07:44 AM.

#21 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:40 AM

Thanks for providing that link, I believe that gives us something to work with.

#22 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:35 AM

Since I have seen how your Phoenix BIOS utility is setup, have you tried the F7 key for load optimized defaults?

Also I seen where you mentioned that you ran a memory diagnostic tool and stated it came up with 2 errors, which could be an indicator of a bad RAM stick, when ever this address with-in the RAM is accessed it can cause repeated errors each time it is accessed.

I personally would replace any RAM module that shows any signs of an error. Because those errors/defects are not correctable through software, it is a bad chip or faulty solder joint on the RAM module its self.

#23 teStud0

teStud0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:29 AM

Since I have seen how your Phoenix BIOS utility is setup, have you tried the F7 key for load optimized defaults?

Did that again, didn't help.

Also I seen where you mentioned that you ran a memory diagnostic tool and stated it came up with 2 errors, which could be an indicator of a bad RAM stick, when ever this address with-in the RAM is accessed it can cause repeated errors each time it is accessed.

I personally would replace any RAM module that shows any signs of an error. Because those errors/defects are not correctable through software, it is a bad chip or faulty solder joint on the RAM module its self.

The first memtest I used was OS based, it was inconclusive IMO since using some of the RAM (as any OS does) will produce "false positives" atm (tried to test w/ Firefox on and produced a lot of errors).

I used memtest86 and after 3 scans no errors.

I forgot to mention that my RAM is also brand new.

Edited by teStud0, 25 May 2010 - 09:27 AM.

#24 teStud0

teStud0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:15 AM

Update:

This is what happened when I tried to tinker the MoBo:

-Tried to change the location of the RAM (my Mobo has 2 RAM slots), one of them simply isn't working anymore. The other one is fine.
-Everytime I install the RAM on the slot that works, my GPU randomly doesn't work. Upon reinstalling the GPU onto the AGP slot, it works fine again.

Is this a sign of a faulty Mobo?

#25 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:21 AM

Is this a sign of a faulty Mobo?

It very well could be, or a problem with one of the slots and how it is soldered to the motherboard.

As for RAM slots, you stated one as not working, you did not specify which one this is. The RAM slots which are marked on the motherboard as the examples I am providing here slot a or slot 1 or DIMM 1 etc (Motherboard manufacturers have different ways of naming the RAM slots.) If your motherboard has two slots and slot #1 is defective, some motherboards do not like having slot #1 empty, but slot #2 in use. If slot #1 is the defective slot, you can run into more problems if you are only using slot #2.

Make sure there isn't anything in the slot preventing a good electrical contact on one of the gold colored strips on the RAM and its mating surface in the slot, such as a tiny dust particle.
Check the RAM slots base where it rests on the main-board for a faulty solder joint, this will require the board to be out of the computer case, so you can observe the underside of the printed circuit board. Gently moving the RAM slot might reveal a moving lug, indicating inadequate solder on this connection. If this is found, it can be repaired by using a 15 Watt solder pencil and refluxing the joint.
I have seen this happen on many electronic components, you have to keep a keen eye on the joints because some faulty joints are hard to spot at first, but if you can see the leg or lug of a part moving, it is an indicator that the joint needs re-flowing. ( A word meaning reheating with a solder pencil. Warning: Do not use a solder gun, or any soldering device with a higher than 15 Watt rating, too much heat can destroy electronic components, using anything higher than 15 Watts is asking for trouble!)

Any questions we're here to answer them. :thumbsup:

Best regards.

#26 teStud0

teStud0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:04 AM

As for RAM slots, you stated one as not working, you did not specify which one this is. The RAM slots which are marked on the motherboard as the examples I am providing here slot a or slot 1 or DIMM 1 etc (Motherboard manufacturers have different ways of naming the RAM slots.) If your motherboard has two slots and slot #1 is defective, some motherboards do not like having slot #1 empty, but slot #2 in use. If slot #1 is the defective slot, you can run into more problems if you are only using slot #2.

Currently I'm using the DIMM 1 slot. However previously my older 512Mb RAM was in DIMM2 for years.

Make sure there isn't anything in the slot preventing a good electrical contact on one of the gold colored strips on the RAM and its mating surface in the slot, such as a tiny dust particle.

Tried that already.

Check the RAM slots base where it rests on the main-board for a faulty solder joint, this will require the board to be out of the computer case, so you can observe the underside of the printed circuit board. Gently moving the RAM slot might reveal a moving lug, indicating inadequate solder on this connection. If this is found, it can be repaired by using a 15 Watt solder pencil and refluxing the joint.
I have seen this happen on many electronic components, you have to keep a keen eye on the joints because some faulty joints are hard to spot at first, but if you can see the leg or lug of a part moving, it is an indicator that the joint needs re-flowing. ( A word meaning reheating with a solder pencil. Warning: Do not use a solder gun, or any soldering device with a higher than 15 Watt rating, too much heat can destroy electronic components, using anything higher than 15 Watts is asking for trouble!)

The last time I soldered was way back in HS so I might try in a local appliance repair shop. Is the same type of solder used on fixing cellphones too?

But is such problem a "sure" reason for the random restarts? Bcoz I might rather buy a new MoBo but I do not want to waste money if this isn't the real cause (like what happened when I bought a new power supply).

Edited by teStud0, 26 May 2010 - 09:07 AM.

#27 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:34 AM

Well checking the board for cold solder joints can sometimes be worth the effort put into it.

The solder I speak of is used in electronics only, usually rosin core, do not use solder used by plumbers for copper pipe sweating.

If you have solder used for cell phone circuit board repair that should work, here is a link to Radio Shack for the type of solder you'd need if you don't have any on hand.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=2062719
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=2062712

This link below has a lot of useful resources, you might want to check this site out for some troubleshooting tips that could be related to your problem.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/home/index.htm

#28 teStud0

teStud0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:38 AM

Well checking the board for cold solder joints can sometimes be worth the effort put into it.

The solder I speak of is used in electronics only, usually rosin core, do not use solder used by plumbers for copper pipe sweating.

If you have solder used for cell phone circuit board repair that should work, here is a link to Radio Shack for the type of solder you'd need if you don't have any on hand.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=2062719
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=2062712

This link below has a lot of useful resources, you might want to check this site out for some troubleshooting tips that could be related to your problem.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/home/index.htm - EDIT: This link doesn't work

I do not live in the US, thanks for other link anyway. :thumbsup:

Reiterating..

But is such problem a "sure" reason for the random restarts? Bcoz I might rather buy a new MoBo but I do not want to waste money if this isn't the real cause (like what happened when I bought a new power supply).

Edited by teStud0, 26 May 2010 - 09:41 AM.

#29 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:29 AM

Well I can understand your concerns and as much as we can try to offer the most successful advice, it is somewhat difficult to know exactly what to suggest when many things can be the reason.

Seriously though, if your gut feeling is that your better off buying a new motherboard and abandon this one, then I support that decision. :thumbsup:

#30 teStud0

teStud0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:18 PM

Update:
I asked the local appliance repair shop and after his initial diagnosis, he tells me that's its gotta be temp related. Now since I've been using Speedfan for years now I tried to Hardware Monitor for a change.

Recent screenshot
Attached File  HWM.JPG   47.24KB   21 downloads

VTIN is supposed to be the GPU's temp right? If that's the case my bro is wrong for years now.. :thumbsup:

The VTIN sometimes spikes to the max temp w/out me doing anything.. I think I just found out the reason for the restarts.

Edited by teStud0, 27 May 2010 - 12:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users