Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random restarts

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 teStud0

teStud0

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:35 PM

This is my first post so sorry if this is the wrong sub forum.

CPU Specs:
-MS-7104 Mobo
-Pentium 4 2.8Ghz (1Mb L2 cache/800Mhz FSB) (UNoverclocked)
-1gig DDR RAM
-Radeon X1650 Series (512MB)
-1 20Gig HDD (IDE)
-1 80Gig HDD (IDE)
-Win XP SP3

- Recently changed Processor from 1.5Ghz to 2.8Ghz (although it was still restarting back then especially on SC2), Also changed RAM from 512Mb to 1Gig
- >37C room temp, Old Power Supply (the fan isn't as powerful as it used to) and old CPU fan/HSF. Changed to a new Power Supply (550w - 600w) and bigger HSF still no results
- 80Gig HDD had 15% fitness 85% performance on SMART, tried not using it upon booting but still restarting
- Checked RAM for errors and found 2 of them
- Tried to turn off the "automatic restart " option but now it simply shuts down abruptly (like pulling the plug) and doesn't restart.

Temp while playing (Speedfan):
CPU: 55-70C (was spiking at 80C). Changed to a bigger HSF 60 - 70C (no more spikes to 80+)
Mobo: 30-40C
GPU: 45-55C
HDD: 40-45C

Edited by teStud0, 17 May 2010 - 02:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:03 PM

Hello, teStud0 and welcome to Bleepingcomputer!

You are in the right forum for your problem which is probably hardware related.

You mentioned something about your RAM, I believe you said you had ran a RAM diagnostic program and found 2 errors.

Are you still using this RAM and what error did the program detect if you can remember?

I do not see the temperatures you listed as being a major factor, unless they are not the highest values and are higher at some point just before the shut down happens.

Do you notice anything going on inside the tower just before the shut down happens?

Do fans spin faster?

Before I go on to other things can you reply with answers to what I have already asked?

I'll watch for your reply.

Best regards.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:51 PM

Have you more info on the processor? Each one has its own temperature range. For some the 60-70 would be high while for others it might not be that bad.

There are some markings on the top of the processor, such as SL6PF, which has the following specs (and a 75 temp range)

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL6PF

Heat is the #1 reason for shutting down unexpectedly.

Have you checked any mini-dumps? They can point to the reasons for an ungraceful shutdown.

I hope this helps.

DR

#4 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:57 PM

When you replaced the HSF you cleaned off any old thermal paste off the processor and replaced with a fresh thin layer of paste unless HSF came with some.

Check your system fans that pull air into the chassis and take air out of chassis are working ok may need replacing.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#5 teStud0

teStud0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:03 PM

You mentioned something about your RAM, I believe you said you had ran a RAM diagnostic program and found 2 errors.

Are you still using this RAM and what error did the program detect if you can remember?

I used this RAM tester (it doesn't have much since its a free version only. Dunno how to use Memtest86.

Do you notice anything going on inside the tower just before the shut down happens?

Do fans spin faster?

Not really. I added a warning "beep" if one of the temps goes higher than normal in Speedfan. No beeps before a restart occurs.

Have you more info on the processor? Each one has its own temperature range. For some the 60-70 would be high while for others it might not be that bad.

There are some markings on the top of the processor, such as SL6PF, which has the following specs (and a 75 temp range)

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL6PF

Heat is the #1 reason for shutting down unexpectedly.

Mine is this. Still within the normal temp atm.

Have you checked any mini-dumps? They can point to the reasons for an ungraceful shutdown.

I hope this helps.

How do you open mini dumps?

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:18 PM

you can use this program which is free its called BlueScreenView http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html you have to locate the dump files to view them.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 teStud0

teStud0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:39 AM

Added the recent logs from the minidump viewer.

Attached File  minidump.JPG   283.14KB   18 downloads

#8 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:57 AM

I am not sure this will help but here is a thread about some of the crashes you have had:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1178947

They are attributing it to Malware, unless it is a new install and then they are saying it could be bad drivers.

Good luck.

DR

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:07 PM

I see some crashes related to ATI which is a Video card driver issue also.

You may want to go to http://www.ati.com and look for updated drivers under the support section.

#10 teStud0

teStud0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:22 PM

I see some crashes related to ATI which is a Video card driver issue also.

You may want to go to http://www.ati.com and look for updated drivers under the support section.

I always check for updated drivers every now and then. Also I've reinstalled it already.

Read in other forums that disabling the shared memory in BIOS would do the trick. Done that and no restarts (but did that only two hours ago).

Edited by teStud0, 18 May 2010 - 12:22 PM.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:30 PM

OK try downloading MalwareBytes and running the FREE version after you update it with the latest updates and see if it finds any Malware. rigacci is a BC Malware Senior so that advice should be looked into seriously. http://www.malwarebytes.org/

#12 teStud0

teStud0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:35 PM

OK try downloading MalwareBytes and running the FREE version after you update it with the latest updates and see if it finds any Malware. rigacci is a BC Malware Senior so that advice should be looked into seriously. http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Will try that in a event of another restart. Although I doubt it bcoz I use KIS 9.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:47 PM

Will try that in a event of another restart. Although I doubt it bcoz I use KIS 9.

It never hurts to be safe, I do not agree with running more than one real-time scanner, but I do agree with running several different (what I call On-demand) scanners.

To back up my theory, I have had computers brought to me, which had McAfee on them, I scanned first with Spybot Search & Destroy, and found a Knoobface Trojan and a downloader.exe on the machine, Spybot found something McAfee didn't find. :thumbsup:

Then scanning with MalwareBytes more bad code was found. :flowers:

Then running a program called Norman Malware remover, more registry keys were found to be infected.

So, the saying goes, one program alone of this type of scan tool, is not always enough.

#14 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:51 PM

One of the best On-Line scanners is available at http://www.f-secure.com

There are others (Panda and Kaspersky) but the F-Secure actually does the cleaning as well.

If it was the shared memory, that is even better. Go figure.

Good luck.

DR :thumbsup:

#15 teStud0

teStud0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:21 AM

Update:

Used the Malwarebytes + KIS (found some viruses) and still random restarts happen. Will try disabling the on board soundcard + LAN card.

More help would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

Edited by teStud0, 20 May 2010 - 11:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users