Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ME Locking Up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 philrich

philrich

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 01 October 2005 - 12:49 PM

After switching on and using the PC, the system locks up after no more than 20 mins, ie no cursor movement or keyboard response, you have to re-boot using the reset button. After the system re-boots it will run again but for increasingly shorter time spans before needing to reset again. Eventually you have to power down completely and turn back on again to use the PC.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 01 October 2005 - 03:51 PM

First off.... :thumbsup: Bleeping Computers
Check the inside of you case to make sure it is clean. Also make sure the fans in the asr, power supply, and on the processor are running. You may have an over heating problem. Have a can of compressed and on hand to blow out the fins on th heat sink of the processor.
Make sure your computer is UNPLUGGED not justed turned off when you open the case. One mistake and you will smoke you computer. You can do it just be careful.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 philrich

philrich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 02 October 2005 - 06:53 AM

Took a look into the inside of my computer today, the fan cooling the chip on the motherboard was completely clogged up, I have cleaned it up as advised and the computer seems to be trouble free. So far so good - many thanks for your help, I had been struggling to identify the problem for a couple of weeks. :thumbsup:

Thanks again - hopefully I will not have any more trouble. Why did you suspect a harware problem as opposed to a software issue that I thought it was?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 02 October 2005 - 09:22 AM

The simplest step. Most people keep their computer on the ground where all the dust and lent is. You can always start downloading programs and scans.
Congrays. Can't wait for your next post. :thumbsup:
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users