Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Window Installer Service could not be accessed

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tomfluharty

tomfluharty

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:07 PM

I used Revo Uninstaller to uninstall Adobe CS5 extended that had apparently became corrupt. During the final scan of 'registery', apparently Revo Uninstaller removed not only CS5, but all other Adobe programs such as Adobe Reader, etc. Now when I try to install the downloaded (new) adobe reader (for instance) I get the error window "The Window Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact support..."

Problem now is that I can't install any programs. MS help site is a nightmare, especially for someone of my limited knowledge.
Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:46 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer!

I can understand your situation and suggest you sit back and relax, because you have come to the right place for help. :huh:

My first question is have you tried to use windows system restore?

If you are unfamiliar with system restore then please reply back and let us know and we'll provide detailed instructions for you to follow.

Best regards for now. :huh:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 tomfluharty

tomfluharty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:16 PM

I did Control Panel > Backup & Restore. Got 'Windows could not find a backup for this computer". I tried selecting another backup 'earlier mirror drive' but got error 'The backup app could not start due to internal error:(0X80040154).
And, thanks for the quick reply.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:39 PM

You went to the wrong section of Windows 7, you want to go to CONTROL PANEL and look for RECOVERY double click this and you'll see SYSTEM RESTORE, if while in control panel you do not see RECOVERY look for the arrow and where it says LARGE ICONS and click it so it says SMALL ICONS now you'll see alphabetically all the control panel icons, look for RECOVERY, double click it and look for the button that says SYSTEM RESTORE.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 tomfluharty

tomfluharty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:54 PM

MrBruce,
I decided to bite the bullet and do a reinstall. Many thanks for your help. I think I really did plenty of damage that would have required a lot of work.....so decided to call it quits. Back up and running now and reloading all my 'stuff'. Again, many thanks....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users