Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player 11?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:46 AM

Hi I bought a new Asus netbook and hooked it up to the cd/dvd burner (Asus) to watch a dvd that I had just burned on my notebook. The sample music plays on the netbook, however the dvd will not and the error message that I get is that I need a decoder and it directs me to a "purchase" site. First is there a free decoder and how do I know which one it is?
I do all of my photo slide shows on dvd and mpg format.

As am not a techie, I do not understand what is going on here.
Why does the WMP 11 get supplied on a netbook w/o full functionality?
I hope that experienced users can guide me in the right direction.
Thank you for your time.
BTW, for whatever reason in my recent prior threads, I am not getting 'email' notification? when replies are posted. (even though I enable it)

Also I should mention, xpsp3 and that the photo slide show is viewable on my 2 other notebooks (which don't have WMP 11) and on my toshiba dvd player which is one of the worst for playing back home made projets and that is why I bought it...it is my test dvd player so that I know that my projects should likely be viewable by family and friends when I mail my own dvds out to them.
I would really like to move forward and continue to get WMP 11 working instead of going backward to other versions.
Again, Kind Regards.

Edited by georgia, 17 May 2010 - 11:52 AM.

Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:18 PM

The best "free and legal" solution to your problem, if your drive didn't come with a full function software package, is probably VLC Media Player at http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

The reason you can't play DVDs on your netbook is that you don't have a DVD decoder. I went through this myself a while ago. This software is proprietary -- some manufacturers bundle the software and include the cost of the decoder in the package -- yours apparently didn't. VLC is a stand-alone package with the decoder built-in.

For info try Googling "windows dvd decoder" -- I don't know of any free decoder for WMP.

Edited by Capn Easy, 17 May 2010 - 03:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users