Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd occurence with a heat issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sword3274

sword3274

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:40 AM

Hello all. I'm not terribly computer saavy, but I'll try to explain my situation best I can. Thanks in advance for any assistance/advice you can offer.

I have an ASUS, CG5290 MB, Intel Core i7 CPU 290 (2.67 GHz), 9G RAM.

I have this program called AI Manager, displays information about my system, allows trash removal (temp files, etc.), and has something called AI Probe, which monitors things like fan speed, voltage, and temperature. It's this last area in which I'm kind of confused.

There are four temperature sensors: CPU, MB, SB, and NB. Three of the four temperatures (CPU, MB and SB) run perfectly fine. The northbridge (NB) is what I'm concerned about. the NB runs at about 85-86 degrees Celsius, under normal computer activity (computer up, perhaps running Word, mail's up, IE8, along with my normal bacground programs). This is one degree over that was the threshold of 85 (I've set the threshold to 87, to avoid the constant alarms).

The odd part is when I run a PC game (Sims 3, WoW, for example) - I tab out and check the temperature of the NB and it seems to be running just fine. I also notice when I start running a game that I can easily hear the fan(s) running in my computer - I can really hear them at all under "normal PC operation." I don't know if the fans need to be boosted - they seem to be running okay at 1300 rpm for CPU and 1500 rpm for Chassis. I did play with them in BIOS, but then they ran all the time (even though the NB temp was good) and were loud. Also, I have a corner desk and even though I love it, perhaps it's the culprit by not letting enough airflow to the back of the PC.

Should I be concerned about this? Is 86 Celsius too hot? Is there anything I can do to improve it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:01 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer! :huh:

Your probes you speak of are CPU=Processor NB=North Bridge chip on Motherboard and SB=South Bridge chip on motherboard and MB which is a general temp sensor on the motherboard.

The North Bridge chip usually has a heat sink on it, some even come with a cooling fan attached to them on systems designed to be over-clocked.

As you stated the NB chip is 86 degrees Celsius.

I have seen them a bit hotter than that with extreme gaming, if you are concerned about this temperature, you can mount a side fan in your tower blowing towards the north bridge chip and its heat sink, adding additional cooling fans to the case, keeping the total amp usage of your PSU output in mind would help keep things a lot cooler as well.

Depending on your heat sink type on your north bridge chip, they do sell cooling fans that can be attached to the fins.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 sword3274

sword3274
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:23 AM

Thanks for the welcome Mr. Bruce!

So 86 isn't that bad when all I'm doing is browsing the net, with my Windows Live Mail open and perhaps Word and/or Excel? If so, then I'll relax. I just thought it odd that the NB is actually cooler when I'm gaming than when I'm not. :huh:

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:44 AM

Depends on the game you're playing actually, Because in most cases the RAM on your Video processor is doing most of the work during gaming.

Where using applications such as spreadsheets in Excel or documents in Word tend to crunch more numbers and make better use of the co-processor etc.

Thus the increase use of your North Bridge chip increasing its temp.

Its not a dangerous level, but it could be better and depends a lot on the temperature of the room the computer is in.

Like I said, adding a cooling fan to the case blowing toward or across the fins of the North Bridge heat sink wouldn't hurt.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users