Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup program or Service affected Theme???

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mizzchola

mizzchola

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:18 AM

Hi everyone,

So I disabled a whole bunch of unnecessary startup programs that were running on my Mums laptop as well as a few services using msconfig and services.msc

I got the computer running better and starting up much better however on the final restart for some reason when the laptop booted up the windows theme had been reverted to windows classic theme (windows display) and I went to control panel/display/Appearance ect to change the theme back to the Windows XP Style but it wasn't a option in the drop down menu.

I'm stumped as to which startup program or service that I disabled could have done this?

I have considered doing a system restore but fear that if I do I may have to pain stakingly go through each service and startup program again looking them each up and disabling them one by one on a super slow laptop due to the high number of programs running unnecessarily in the background.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:46 PM

Hello TIA.

Most likely you have disabled the Themes service. Setting it back to automatic should fix the problem.

Please note that MSConfig is not meant to be a startup manager, but a diagnostic tool. Using it to disable startup entries makes you computer boot in Selective Startup mode.

I would suggest using Autoruns for what you are doing.

With Regards,
The Panda

#3 mizzchola

mizzchola
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:24 PM

Thank you very much propagandapanda :thumbsup:

I didn't realize that it was a diagnostic tool and haven't heard of autoruns before but will look it up thank you!

#4 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:29 PM

No problem :thumbsup: .

The Panda

#5 hothett

hothett

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:24 PM

Hello TIA.

Most likely you have disabled the Themes service. Setting it back to automatic should fix the problem.

Please note that MSConfig is not meant to be a startup manager, but a diagnostic tool. Using it to disable startup entries makes you computer boot in Selective Startup mode.

I would suggest using Autoruns for what you are doing.

With Regards,
The Panda

I have already manually went through my start up list, but I notice the 'services' are not really listed and don't want to have to google every one of them.
My question is, Will AUTORUNS take care of the services list as well? I assume so by the nature of the thread but just wanted confirmation. I am looking to clean this up tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users