Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which motherboard and processor should i choose?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smarty3010

smarty3010

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:44 AM

Hello,
I want to upgrade my system.
My system details are:-

Motherboard
Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Model : P4VP-MX

Processor: Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.00GHz

RAM: 512MB (DDR)

I want some advice/suggestions to choose a motherboard and processor.

My price range is around Rs. 10,000 ~ $220 (including motherboard and processor)

My initial thoughts are to go for
Core 2 duo OR i3 (both are around Rs. 6000 ~ $133)

But there are many options available for a single processor like:-
Intel Core 2 duo E8400 / E7600 .......
All of them having different prices and different parameters.

Please elaborate on terms like GHz,FSB,cache,cores,threads and which is more important.

Also which motherboard is best suited and how much RAM should i get?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Yateesh

Yateesh

• Banned
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:12 AM

How to decide if a Motherboard Upgrade is Cost Effective

EDIT:
Edited to remove copyrighted material, and replace it with a link to the article. ~tg

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:28 AM

Depending on what you use it for a decent quad core from AMD and motherboard will cost more than your budget. That does not include the memory you will have to get as well. Keep in mind your existing board is a micro ATX so if there isn't room for a larger board in your case your stuck with that form factor. My suggestion is to save your dough until you can dedicate $500 to the rebuild so you can get a motherboard, proccessor, memory, hard drive, and power supply(yours might not have all of the plugs required for the new board) at a minimum. Add on however much you need for a video card as well if your a gamer.If not save your money and get a board with on board video.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 bigalexe

bigalexe

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:50 AM

I am going to simplify what got said in the second post.

Point 1: You have a proprietary computer and so the motherboard and case were designed to fit each other, you also have a cheap Power Supply
Point 2: In order to get a general aftermarket (ATX or any derivation) motherboard that fits properly, you are going to need a case because it won't fit in yours
Point 3: Your power supply may not have the required connectors to power the new hardware. You will need at least a 24-pin motherboard connector (many old PC's have 20-pin) and an additional 4-pin (Square not rectangular) connector. Because your power supply was selected to fit your current hardware by the manufacturer, it most likely does not have these.
Point 4: Memory is going to change, no matter what you are going to want to upgrade to a new memory spec and your old memory won't be transferable.

Ok now that we have outlined what we can and can't do, here is what you are going to need to buy and what you can salvage.

NEED:
Motherboard
Processor
Memory
Case

MAY NEED:
Power Supply

CAN USE:
CD/DVD Drives
Floppy Drives
Hard Drives
PCI Cards that fit spec on the new motherboard (If you have an AGP card there may not be a slot for it.)
External Hardware

With your price range I would recommend looking at AMD Dual-Core Processors, they are going to be lower in price than Intel. For $220 on JUST the Processor and Motherboard you can get a more than decent setup for basic computing, but it may not get you into the gaming specs if that is what you want. If you don't play games then don't worry about a Graphics Card, however make sure the motherboard lists a video connector and a graphics chipset. Where you are going to get shocked on price is the Memory, 2GB of DDR2 (the least I would recommend for anyone running Windows) runs about $50 for a decent brand. Besides that you can probably get the case and the power supply for less than your memory cost.

For a build budgeting $220 for CPU/Mobo I would then say $350 is a decent price to shoot for by the time your system is done... Except for the OS but that's another discussion.
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB DDR5, 26" Widescreen HDMI
500GB + 80GB HDD
Windows 7 Pro, Mozilla Firefox, AutoCAD 2011, Solidworks 2009
1/19/2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users