Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Finally Happened

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dfresh27

dfresh27

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:53 PM

Just got hit by a nasty mother fning virus. I'm running windows 7 64 bit. Locked up internet explorer, won't let me run any of my av software. It stops all downloads. Tried to download Malware Bytes from Firefox but it will only download into the download section and then it will not install. Can't seem to get it to download to my desktop. I feel stuck and I'm looking for help.

It tells me that I have all sorts of infected files and wants me to run my virus scan....not saying yes to any of it. Help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:04 AM

Hey,

Dang rogues! That's what it sounds like to me. Try the rename tactic. Go to another computer if you have one, then download MBAM from there, and then rename the download before it goes through. Run the renamed file from a flash drive and then see if it works. another helpful thing to do would be to run Rkill first to kill those nasties. But one thing I do know is that you'll get through this. I've seen this before, and it is possible for your computer to look as good as new after a few things. But just out of curiosity, what Antivirus do you use? Let me know if that works.

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#3 dfresh27

dfresh27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:17 AM

Running AVG 9.0 also have Malware Bytes but it will not run.

#4 dfresh27

dfresh27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:29 AM

Any help would be great......

#5 dfresh27

dfresh27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:59 AM

OK, still dead in the water. Anytime I try to install a program that will help it gets terminated. Don't know where to start now. It's like playing chess and I'm losing.

#6 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:28 AM

Hi again,
First of all, you have AVG 9.0. right? Now from my friend's experience and me trying to help her, I remember that her AVG was disabled by the rogue. Have you tried RKill yet? Remember the troubleshooters for that. There are a few different files of the same name but a different extension. Try all of them until you can get one that will run, then when it can, it will kill off all of the bad processes that it finds. If the stupid rogue gets in your way and tells you that the program's infected, leave the alert on the screen and try running RKill again. Then after all of the process are gone, try again to run MBAM, and if that doesn't work, keep renaming the file to things like winlogon.exe, explorer.exe, and wininit.exe until it will finally catch and install for you. Meanwhile all tims time, make sure not to reboot or else you'll be dealing with the rogue again. And after this experience is over, make sure to replace your antivirus with something better than AVG. You should go for Avast or Avira on the free side of things, or NOD32 or Kaspersky on the paid side of things.

Regards,
Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users